7200 laptop hdd..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayno20

Right now i have a 5400RPM hdd in my laptop, and i am wondering how much of a performance gain i would get out of getting a 7200RPM hdd.. i read there would be faster boot/shutdown times, and obviously faster data access, but would it be worth it?

system specs (Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5500 2MB/1.66GHz/667MHz / 1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm / 128MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1300 / 60GB 5400RPM SATA HDD)

A 7200RPM drive is roughly 25-30% faster than a 5600RPM drive. This is because of the faster rotation.

Whether this is worth the extra money for you.. That's a question only you can answer :)

And of course it'll increase power usage - so if you rely on the battery a lot then it's not a good idea.

jayno20 said:
how much more power usage are we talking?

Because 7200 RPM drives are often based on newer technology, I'm sure there is no power difference at all for many drives. But if you are looking at increased power usage, it might be something like 10-20% (not really based on any facts, just a guess).

Considering your average drive consumes between 1-5w during usage, it would have little effect on your battery. Many batteries can deliver well over 50Whr, so the drain is negligable.

Another consideration - 7200RPM drives can generate a substantial amount of heat. Again though, newer drives are usually more efficient, although that doesn't necessarily mean lower temps.

jayno20 said:
so overall would you say its worth it?

You have a fairly modern drive. Even though it is 5400, I think the performance increase will not be obviously noticeable to you, although it will definitely be there.

Is it worth the trouble and $100 or so? Well, that's really up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back