7600GT installed and Windows wont load!

By animus81
Oct 31, 2007
  1. Hey all,

First time posting so would be grateful of some help with this hugely annoying problem.

I recently purchased a Leadtek 7600GT 256MB AGP card to replace my 6800le and now, with the new card having been installed, Windows wont load.

System specs are:

Asus A8v-deluxe motherboard, latest BIOS (updated in attempt to fix this prob)
    Athlon 64 3,000
    Windows XP Home
    2 x 512mb DDR RAM
    120GB HD
    550w PSU
    Sony DVD-R/W
    Onboard sound - AC97

After the new card has been isntalled the first screen gives a one-line description of the gfx card and counts up the RAM on the card (256MB). After this the BIOS loads up as normal and does its system checks which usually are all ok. When it gets to the point where the Windows XP screen usually appears with the blue loading bar the screen just goes black and the computer resets itself and continues on this loop if I don't intervene. Sometimes the BIOS will also throw me a CPU Fan error (even though the fan seems fine) or a 'failed overclocking' error even though I haven't changed anything other than put in the new card!

If I put the old card back in (the 6800le) then everything works perfectly!

I've tested the new card in another computer and it works fine so something must be wrong with my system.

I've tried installing the latest motherboard BIOS, uninstalling video card drivers before putting in new card, installing new video card drivers before installing card, unplugging power connectors from some other devices to see if there wasn't enough power getting through (this was a long-shot since all I really have is the hard drive, dvd drive and floppy drive). I've also tried loading Windows in Safe Mode which still gives me the black screen only the computer wont reset itself and nothing happens at all - same result with loading windows in debug mode.
    I've also changed some BIOS settings such as disabling AGP Fast Write and lowering the AGP speed to 4x and still no luck.

I'm out of ideas and wondered if anyone might be able to offer some suggestions?

2. animus81

animus81 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well I gave up and just re-installed windows which fixed the problem. Something must have been wrong with whatever settings Windows loads up prior to the loading screen so I've no idea what was up but at least its fixed and is a pretty huge step-up from the 6800le.
  3. Surkitz

Surkitz TS Rookie Posts: 145

did you uninstall your old gfx drivers first? before putting the new card in? (edit) woops just read that you did. unfortunate that you had to go through all that just to wipe out your windows with a new copy. did you check the site faqs from leadtek? maybe someone had the same problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.