7900GT: Some artifacts/performance issues/idle temp concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

frasier

Just got an XFX 7900GT. Seems to be working great except for a couple things.

1. After playing CSS for a while against bots on cs_militia, I started seeing multicolored dots everywhere on all textures. Like little paint splatters or something. Many times when i play CSS i get no artifacts at all. But it was monsterous tonight. Is this a heat issue? (See bullet 3)

2. The FEAR performance test showed me getting a steady 15fps no matter what settings i used (Minimum or Maximum)

3. My card idles at about 70 degrees celsius. Seems a bit hot?

My computer specs:
P4HT 2.8ghz
3GB ram
7900GT

70c at idles does seem pretty hot....

Do you have enough circulation in your case? How many fans (in and out)?

If at the start of gaming you have no artifacts, and they increase with time, that is a classic sign of an overheating issue.

Edit: another possibility is your PSU. What make is it, and how many watts is it rated at? Also open up you case and look at the sticker attached to it. How many amps is it putting out on the +12v rail?

Does the card run at stock speeds or is one of the factory overclocked cards? Some issues have been see with the 7900 series and overclocking.

Well, I have a stock Dell 4700 case. So there's not an incredible amount of air circulation. But when i do completely open up the side of the case my idle temp drops about 7 degrees C

I also got a new PSU to go with this card. 500 watt turbolink.
+12V1 = 16A
+12V2 = 18A

I'ts a factory overclock. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150139

EDIT: Just got back from playing DOD:S
I had my case open and a deskfan blowing inside. My GPU temp was about 50-60 under load and i still got massive artifacts. Pics:

I think i'm just going to RMA.

I don't know much about turbolink, but you do appear to have enough watts and amps. Also, you don't appear to have an overheating problem.....

Does it ONLY happen in CS? Assuming this is happening in all games:

Yep. Perhaps an RMA is in order here. Hopefully that fixes you up! Let us know how it goes.

What about your graphics driver? Have you tried updating to the latest version?

lol @ mailpup.

When I read your post above, I had the thought "of course we have covered THAT...."

Then re-read the entire thread and noticed that drivers haven't even been mentioned. Doh! :giddy:

Haha, don't worry guys. I got the latest drivers. I also tried the newest nforce beta drivers. But that ended in a display of artifacts like i'd never seen before. Imagine those DODS screenshots x10.

I've tested with DODS and CSS. Got the flashing screen on my desktop. I figured i'd had enough.

Hi All,
I having the exact same problem with my XFX 7900GT 520M. Whilst using FS 2004, after about 30-45 minutes I start getting artifacts all over the screen - the screen starts flashing, then eventually the screen goes blank altogether (but I can still hear the sound).

I then have to reboot (by hitting the reset button) and sometimes, once I've logged in, the screen continues to flash - and again goes blank.

The Temperatures in my machines are GPU: 47 (51 during games), CPU: 27 (32-34 during games).

I've got the latest drivers from Nvidia - but this does not solve the problem.

In order to attempt to find the problem, I reduced my Memory speed from 750 to 700 Mhz. Now I can play FS for hours (I gave up at 4) without a simgle glitch.

I've opened a support ticket on XFX's site.

Anyway, you're not alone, this seems to be a very common problem. I've read somewhere that the Memory shipped from NVidia is not rated past 1400Mhz (or 1200 I can't remember) and therefore when factory overclocked, this is causing some major heat problems!

Same problem

Same here Daz2. Exactly same card as you (XFX GeForce 7900GT 520M). All of a sudden it just started giving me random dead pixels, and lots of artifacts to. The artifact-problem is not new, but it is far worse now than before. I've nearly solved the problem by lowering the memory frequency to 375MHz(!) The dead pixels are gone and the artifact-problem way better than before, but it's a tragic thought that I must run the memory on 375MHz the rest of the cards life... :(

I had the same **** with my 7800 GT

Guys the only way to fix that is to return it and get your money back. My 7800 GT had artifacts like that and i tried everything. The only way to fix it is return it and order a replacement. My guess would be that the manufacturer had some bugs or something

haseebcash4u said:
Guys the only way to fix that is to return it and get your money back. My 7800 GT had artifacts like that and i tried everything. The only way to fix it is return it and order a replacement. My guess would be that the manufacturer had some bugs or something
That can proove to be difficult... I've done a small memory voltmod + I've ran the memory on 2000MHz DDR for a longer period. I doubt that I get the money back after all this.. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back