TechSpot

8.3 Naming Convention: Why was it chosen?

By Villa-
Jan 9, 2004
Post New Reply
  1. Hiya! Was just wondering if any of you had an answer to this, as my teacher is giving out 1% to my final mark if I can get the answer he wants. So far these are what I've gave him:

This is the e-mail I sent the teacher:

> Is it....
    >
    > 1) Memory was costly at the time so they used shorter names?
    >
    > 2) They took it from CP/M in order to make file transfers between CP/M and
    > DOS easier to manage?
    >
    > 3) There are 32 bytes containing things such as: File, address, length,
    > time, date stamps, while 11 are set aside for the 8.3?

And this is what i got back:

All you mentioned in your e-mail was correct, except you didn't tell my why 8.3
    was "chosen."

Any more ideas?

2. SubKamran

SubKamran TS Rookie Posts: 166

No homework help ;) Google is your friend.

If we tell you, we helped you cheat ;) You're supposed to learn it.

3. SubKamran

I changed my mind. I can't find anything on this :D I'd like to know too!

4. SubKamran

5. Villa-

Villa- TS Rookie Topic Starter

The point of this is to search absolutely everywhere. He isn't limiting us to where we can find it, as long as its not form another class-mate. We're allowed to use others as help.

I've been searching for awhile now =[

6. SubKamran

I couldn't find anything. Jeez, you'd think it'd be easy :(

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

I've read theories about this, and usually discussions about this end up saying there's no real answer.

First one from http://www.mackido.com/Innovation/FileNames.html :
    Because to do things (like copy a file), you had to type in the entire file name (and path name), people used lots of abbreviations and concatenation to reduce typing. This is why CP/M (DOS) used 8.3 (8 charaters + a 3 character suffix).

Second:
    If you've come across with the name Gary Kildall during your research, count the letters in his name. This doesn't explain why it wasn't 7.4 though.

Third:
    8.3, 8 + dot + 3 = 12 characters, compressed nicely with RAD50 into two words. However, CP/M does not compress filenames, and RAD50 was usually used to compress 6.3 or 9.3 filenames (some computers were 6-bit back then).

Fourth:
    It comes from the 12 rows on an 80 column card. One row for each letter, plus the 12th row for a data clock (based on the stereotypical IBM 029 keypunch). A single column was punched in each row to mark the letter from the character set, yielding up to 80 choices per character.

Fifth:
    There is evidence that Gary was one of those rare individuals with both DEC and IBM influences in his background. DEC had established the 3-character file extension as a standard on its systems, and IBM mainframes of the time had 8 characters as a common namespace size. Put the two together, and you get 8.3.

Sixth:
    DEC's RT-11 used 8.3 filenames, and CP/M was developed using it as a guideline. This doesn't explain where RT-11 got 8.3 though.

Seventh:
    Kildall chose 8.3 because he liked it.

So, which one do you choose?

8. Villa-

Villa- TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, i gave him most of those and got:

So why did UNIX have it, with it being different all other OSes.

Some sound like you're just guessing. I consider only solutions, not guesses.

9. Shiney

Shiney TS Booster Posts: 157

Another area to think about is the File Allocation Table, maybe that had something to do with it :)