8 step process followed - logs attached. Barracuda virus. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannahb

Hi there:wave:

I have been having probs with viruses - the latest of which was the barracuda virus. I had Avira antivirus but it somehow switched it off. I ran one or two anti vrius programmes (Avira, malwarbytes, a-squared), but wasnt convinced they fixed it. have followed the 8 step process today. Please can someone look at my logs? I havn't a clue what they mean. I think the virus has gone but am not 100% sure.

Many thanks in advance for your help :grinthumb

Hannah

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    14.1 KB · Views: 5
Hannah, your logs are clean. Remove the McAfee program in the Trusted Zone and uninstall the program.

I don't know of any Barracuda virus malware. I do find the Barracuda Network for spam, virus and firewall control. http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/?L=en

If the problem showed up in Avira, you should run that again to make sure it's gone- whatever it was.

Okay, it's the termanology:

Barracuda is not the name of a virus. It t's the name of an antivirus program which is what I said. But it is a rogue program. Here's what makes programs 'rogue':

Some anti-spyware programs are considered 'rogue' for the following reasons:
  • They use deceptive means to get the user to buy their program
  • The programs give 'false positives' meaning an entry is presented as 'bad' when is usually is not.
  • Their scanning techniques are not thorough and their databases may not be current.
  • There is no privacy policy
  • See SpywareWarrior for specifics.

The site you found is some kind of email archive and the Bucktag site has the date of 11/28/09- which makes it very new, The website of the administrator points to the rogue removal program which is a scam.

It appears that it is only a 'front' for other rogue spyware removers.
Please don't use any links on either the original site or the referenced site.
I'd be interested to know what made you think you has a "Bazooka virus" in the first place!

If you found something in McAfee, update it and run a full system scan and I'll check it for you. If there is any doubt, I'll have you follow with an online scan.

Thanks Bobeye!

i didnt click on that link within the article because i didnt trust it.

The attached log shows what came up when the virus first struck... which refers to it as the barraca virus. what do you make of this? think its just about all ok now. I have avira (even though it let it through) and superantispyware so am hoping that will be enough to safe guard my pc.

thanks so much for your help x

Hannah, if you look carefully, you will see that the AV programs says barracuda-antivirus.com

Avira didn't let it through. It's not a virus- it's a rogue antivirus/spyware program. Rogue programs like this are not in the job description of the AV program. They would more likely be picked up in an anti-malware program. It appears to have been removed. I didn't see it in the HJT log.

I'd like you to run an online AV scan just to make sure nothing else is going on:
Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner HERE

Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan.
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.

When we have finished, I'll give you some suggestions for security on the system.

D'oh!

Hi Bobeye

I pressed the on button to my laptop this morning and a new problem has occurred! My screen has turned into a colourful screen, which has a moving line or two, but maily looks like a graph. It looks like it might be functioning behind this colourful graph and i can log on - but i cant see anything!! I even tried it in safe mode and it doesnt make any difference.

What do you think this is? I cant do anything as the messed up screen blocks my view from the minute i press the on button.

if my laptop has broken is there anyway of getting the files off?

would really appreciate your help!
thanks
Hannah

Hnnah, I am so sorry- this completely slipped by me.

If it's just the monitor on the laptop, you should be okay to backup any of your files. You should be able to send to a flash drive or CD- if you can see well enough to do it.

Trouble with laptops is that you can't try another monitor- well, maybe you could depending on the graphics card. For instance, my nVidia card has feature to use 1 or 2 monitors. I don't have enough information to go any further than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back