81% of children under the age of two are already online

Emil

Staff

The vast majority of children are getting online records before they can walk or talk, and sometimes even sooner, according to a study by security company AVG. Online records can be anything: uploaded prenatal sonogram photographs, tweeting pregnancy experiences, making online photo albums of children from birth, and even creating e-mail addresses or social networking accounts for babies. According to the research, the average digital birth of children happens at around six months.

A company by the name of Research Now surveyed 2,200 mothers in North America (USA and Canada), the EU (UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain), Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. It found that 81 percent of children under the age of two currently have some kind of online presence. 23 percent of children begin their digital lives when parents upload their prenatal sonogram scans to the Internet. Seven percent of babies and toddlers have an e-mail address created for them by their parents, and five percent have a social network profile.

We understand why proud parents would want to upload content of their young children to share with friends and families but they must remember to keep privacy settings tied down and that once online, this information will follow them around for the rest of their lives. Most parents may not understand this given that all they had to deal with was old photo albums and VHS tapes of when they were young.

Permalink to story.

though not exactly uncommon these days. Even with my friends on facebook, as soon as their child is born, they post pictures of them with the baby together on facebook.

If that constitutes to the baby being online then... well yeah.

LOL! This is the biggest bullshit i ever heard. 2 years old kid can't talk but can read text online.

aaha yeah thats gotta be wrong, my 1 and a half year old just run up to me and tried to eat the keyboard not try and log onto a facebook account.

I do agree that almost every child born now is on the net somewhere in pictures or video with in days and its so unregulated its scary.

g4mer said:
LOL! This is the biggest bullshit i ever heard. 2 years old kid can't talk but can read text online.

LOL! Apparently YOU cant even read text online, because if you did, you would have understood the article a little better and at least made that seem more apparent in your comment.

Anyways, there will be digital wars in the future.. cyber police. Consequences will never be the same.

My boy at 2 and a half, he already knows how to pause and make the streaming Netflix to fullscreen. He knows how to turn on the laptop or the desktop and he yells 'password' when he gets stuck at the users screen.

And I was 17 when I first met the internet.

I remember having a computer around from a very young age, but yeah - the internet didn't even become a "thing" til I was 5 or 6.

I envy these children...imagine how much better with technology this generation is going to be.

Parents are enrolling their children into Pre-school before they are even born, so why not create Facebook account for them as well, I guess?????

I had a computer in my room from a young age, but didn't get online untill I was 13ish, and even then I had BT net protect crap that filtered social networks, tho they where not as big at the time. I got facebook when I was 14, nobody had it at first si i didn't use it, but now I have almost 100 freinds (I remove people I don't know!)

I call BS on this one.

''the average digital birth of children happens at around six months.''

But I do not class putting pictures of your new born child online as setting them up in to some crazy world. I have a freind who recently had a child and she has pictures up on Facebook, so what? Its what people do. If I had a picture of me put on someones FB page, and I had never been online. I would not class that as me going online for the first time.

Article title is misleading, or this is the most pointless research other. Whos gonna use it? Childerens toy companys know 2 year olds are on facebook so they FB should put Adds targeted at them... thats as bad as the google adverts on the side of suicide sites advertising suicide products.

Get out of here... tho Americans are stupid right...

Back