8600 GT VGA Adapter install failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berzer

I ordered and received today a PNY 8600GT 512mb gddr3 from newegg.com. upon install windows hung for a sec then never displayed a screen. i hooked back up to my on board adapter and am running fine but the device manager still says that the card is disabled. its a pcie x16 card. i'm getting this info here below.

incompatible display adapter has been disabled. at least one display adapter on the system has been disabled because its driver is not compatible with the driver for the vga adapter.
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

i read somewhere that maybe i have an issue with the bios/vga adapter. any ideas on how to fix? i've attempted to use the disk that came with it but i believe nvidia had a newer one out. i also get the error Rundll32 has stopped. and the typical windows "what do you want to do" thing.

all that was installed was the on board intel graphics adapter. other than that there was no card installed. do i have to disable the adapter?

to put it more clearly, this is what i am having. i still am confused by what i need to do to fix this. there is no secondary card. only the on board graphics adapter that came with the system. i tried uninstalling it but it reinstalled itself. any ideas on what else to do?
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/multimonVista.mspx

i am not trying to run multiple monitors mind you, just one single. it seems my system does not like having two at the same time.

you shouldn't have to but sometimes that does work - disabling onboard video adpater - I think last time I saw this code it was due to the previous drivers not being completely removed.

Do you have Vista? That could be causing your problem but it also could provide for an easy solution

Edit: Well, I have to go get some work done but if you do have Vista, they make it really easy to get the correct drivers. Uninstall the drivers that you already installed this can be done through control panel - programs and features -> look for nvidia drivers click on it then up at the top uninstall/change

You can check Windows Update anytime to see if it has found new drivers for your hardware. Then, you can install them if you choose. Here's how:
1. After you have uninstalled previous driver versions

Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.‌ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, click Check for updates.

To see if updated drivers are available, click View available updates. Windows Update will list any updated drivers that are available for devices installed in your computer.

If updates are available, click the driver that you want to install, and then click Install. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/b3c6477e-1111-4b9f-a52a-fffdc51e9c901033.mspx

whats up with windows killing the host process when i start up the pc. doesnt make any sense. i will try to uninstall the driver again. see what happens.

went through tech support with PNY and they labeled it as a defective card. i still think maybe i am doing something wrong. any more ideas?

i recently did an install, the instruct that came with it said the modem had to be disconnected and the antivirus uninstalled - don't know why just did it(conflict when loading driver?)
uninstall ob card by my comp,syst info,hardware,device manager,display adapter and uninstall ob card
shutdown pc ,install new card,attach monitor to new card,boot in vga mode,windows will find new hardware(it wants to install the ob card) but don't let it install/decline
install the driver and let it restart
get the driver update for your card from nvidia website?
i take it that it is an nvidia, u might want to check out their web site,lots of pi$$ed off purchasers,myself included
give it a try - the guys helped me a lot a couple of days ago
read my thread from the 14th i believe

Berzer said:
went through tech support with PNY and they labeled it as a defective card. i still think maybe i am doing something wrong. any more ideas?

No contest - don't waste any more time on it and get a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back