8600gt causing high cpu idle usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mica3speedy

I recently installed an evga nvidia 8600gt video card. Vista 32 bit starts up fine but my idle cpu usage sits at 50%, and I can't shut down or restart properly and the system will hand after 30 minutes or so. I just end up having to hold in the power button. I have the latest drivers and it's still doing the same thing. When I pull the 8600gt out and put in my old 7300gs, cpu usage at idle is at 0% and vista shuts down and restarts fine. Vista runs fine otherwise and I can play games without a problem. Any suggestions before I rma the video card?

I "RMA'd" my 8600 gt. Not because of the idle problem, but because it dawned on me that for $100 more I could own the 8800 GTS 320mb. It not only idles well but it's about 3 times better than the 8600.

well I found that the issue wasn't exactly with the video card. There was an asus program that was running, aacenter.exe that was taking up cpu usage with the new video card.

pdyckman@comcas said:
I "RMA'd" my 8600 gt. Not because of the idle problem, but because it dawned on me that for $100 more I could own the 8800 GTS 320mb. It not only idles well but it's about 3 times better than the 8600.
Who has a 8800GTS 320mb for $229.00?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back