8800 Gts + Psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

whheezzzz

Hello i have 8800 GTS 320 Super clocked card, and i know the power requirements says at least a 400 watt PSU and 26amp +12v current. But im useing a Cooler Master 430 watt PSU with 19amp on the +12v rail.But im useing the adapter that plugs into 2 molex plugs. so by useing the adapter for the molex connectors dose that not concern itself with the +12v rail? i think the molex connection is +5v corect? or maybe its +3.3v ? but either way for my PSU the +5v outputs 32amp, and the +3.3v outputs 25amp. So im a bit confused as to how many amps im acually getting to the card by useing the 2 molex conections instead of the dedicated +12v rail. My system seems to be running fine so far.Games seem to run ok,but it seems it could be better though,maybe because the card isnt getting enough amps? and how bad would it be to use the card if in fact my PSU is rated at only 19amp on the +12v side? Unless of course my previous question about the 2 molex connectors would give it either 32amp or 24amp? And is useing a dedicated PCI-X +12v connector better than the 2 molex connectors? I just dont want to stress my video card and i want to get the most performance out if it. Im haveing no BSOD or sudden restarts or anything,yet anyways, i havent tried to stress the card that much. I thank you for the help and apologize for the winded letter. My system specs are as follows. i just dont want to stress,fry my card,cpu,mobo a couple months down the line

Opteron 170 dual core 2gig
2 hard drives 1 IDE 7200rpm 1 SATA 3G
DVD Burner
Sound blaster Audigy SE
ASUS A8N-VM-CSM MOBO
4 USB devices

Ok, your psu is not on the list. That still does not change the fact your trying to run a 26amp card on a 430w 19amp $35.00 psu. You need a better psu. That is a great card but why skimp on the psu? The psu is probably the most important part of your system since without proper juice nothing else matters.

Your PSU is gonna power the GTS until it breaks. The harder you push an electronic device the quicker it’ll self destruct, so it will eventually break and probably sooner than later. You really want to run the PSU between 75% and 85% of its maximum capacity for efficent use of electricty.

There's a lot of good-quality PSUs on Newegg like the Antec TruePower 550W one. They oughta provide enough power for your card and not break the bank while doing so.

Upgrade your PSU, I made the mistake of pushing mine untill it exploded and almost caught my apartment on fire, lucky thing I was in the room at the time....

Seriously, upgrade your PSU, you wont be sorry and it'll probably be quieter, mine got a lot quieter when I when from a 450W noname to a 650w BFG.

When an item as important such as a graphics processing unit requires 26 amps on the 12 volt rail, you have to have it. Especially on these new and very powerful graphics processing units. If you have a machine with high electrical requirements, provide at least 20% more than asked for. You will have other devices to feed. Good Luck.

thanks guys i got a 550 watt AGI psu (dont beat the name) my local geek mom/pop shop has had great luck with them more so than the cooler masters,but anyhow it has 2x pci-e connectors +12v1 18amp +12v2 17amp so its plenty enough power

im still gettin crappy FPS on all games like around 30fps on COH 1024x768 high to med setiings, isnt it try that a PSU that has 2 dedicated +12v rails,and you have one vid card plugged in that it will take amps/power from the other rail thats unused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back