TechSpot

8800gt PCI question

By fooseballmn
Nov 5, 2007
  1. i want to 8800gt and it says its PCI express 2.0... i read that PCI express cards will not fit in a conventional PCI slot... what do i have to do to make sure it does fit in my computer

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,978   +362

You have to find out if your motherboard has a PCI-Express x16 slot. It either does or doesn't. Because you ask this question in the first place, we must assume your PC is not self-built. Knowing the PC brand and model you have would help us help you.

3. hey mailpup. i have a similar issue. i noticed the 2.0 as well. i plan on getting an ASRock aliven nf6g vsta motherboard and the gt. and the asrock has a pcie 16x slot or two. but i'm really wondering whether the 8800gt will even work. pcie 2.0 and pcie 16x are very different and it's all because of the voltage and front side bus increases.

will a motherboard like that support the gt, and will it be running at full capacity? if not, do you think there's a patch or a driver or something they'll put out to help bring users up to speed, so to speak? i plan on getting this stuff so i want to make sure it will work. this might be some good information for fooseball too. this will hopefully show a motherboard that will fit it and why it will or will not work.

i may not be able to answer about the gt part of your question foose. but i can tell you that nothing you do will make a pcie fit in a pci slot. they are two completely different hook-up designs. you have to get a motherboard that has a pcie slot in the first place before you can put a pcie card in it.

pcie 2.0 is another issue altogether. so we'll see what happens with that.

4. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

Make sure you have a PCIe slot. Even if you don't have a PCIe 2.0 slot the card will still work fine in your PC.

PCIe 2.0 is just an updated version of PCIe overall.

5. well then i'm all set. and fooseball, you need a new motherboard that has pcie slots.

i'm not sure how to help you. at this point, if your system has only PCI slots, that to me suggests its quite old or it wasn't built with the future in mind. that means, new computer time. i think it's definitely your best bet if you're going to get a Gt, and possibly a new mobo.

dual if not quad core processor, 2 gigs of ram, a new hard drive, a new power supply because no doubt yours will be inadequate for such a powerful system, and probably you'll need a new tower to house it all, depending.

this is just a suggestion. you don't have to follow. but personally, i think just getting a new motherboard that will have the same crap put in it, just with a PCIe slot this time is a waste of money and time/effort.

6. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 822

No dual core only. By the time programs are optimized and/or designed for quad core processors you'd be 2 if not 3 generations behind.

7. right...my bad...dual core then.

here's where the questions begin: intel or amd?
    amd is cheaper
    intel is better

what to chooose..what to choooose....

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.