8800gts failure? (beeps: 1 long 2 short)

Status
Not open for further replies.

agi_shi

[fixed, pictures =D] 8800gts failure? (beeps: 1 long 2 short)

w00t! Bought a PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer - 60 amps on a single +12V rail, crazy power and stability. Ordered Tuesday night, received Thursday afternoon with free UPS shipping. Thumbs up, Newegg! So far so good, everything is fine.

I just love those totally original boxes PC P&C use...
8800gtspcpcpsu001wt5.jpg

Mah' poor 8800GTS... don't worry, we will be together soon again.
8800gtspcpcpsu003vw2.jpg

You... you... deceiver! You can never be trusted again!
8800gtspcpcpsu002pj6.jpg

Everything finally nice and settled...
8800gtspcpcpsu009tf6.jpg

Stuff seems fine...
8800gtspcpcpsu010eg1.jpg

My work bench (aka kitchen):
8800gtspcpcpsu007zc1.jpg

Thanks for all the help =D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe a few months ago, I bought me a new 8800gts, 320MB, from XFX. It was just a normal 320MB 8800gts, no overclocking, nothing. Previously I had a X850XT.

So, anyways, it was all fine and dandy... However, in some games, I did not see a huge performance increase... I thought to my self... must be CPU limited?

I keep going and having fun, until one day, my comp runs, but the monitor doesn't. Turn it off, re-turn it on, it runs. Didn't take notice of the beeps, other than the fact that it wasn't the normal beep I always get.

Today, I come home from school... and what do you know? Comp runs again, monitor receives no signal. I get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps.

I have concluded this is a video card failure. 1 long beep and 2 short beeps seems to be standard for video card failure, where the BIOS fails to output an error message graphically. Even more so, my monitor didn't receive a signal. It all adds up.

After a few reboots I got it to work - until it froze a few seconds later.

Now, my 8800gts hasn't been overheating. Constant 50-60, sometimes 70 celcius. So it must be some internal error, maybe VRAM.

What are your thoughts? First I'll try my PC with my good old X850XT, see if that works.

Also - could it maybe be a PSU problem? My PSU is an Antec truepowerII, 480W. Maybe it's not juicy enough? I haven't been overclocking. At all. Well, I did, but not since I got my 8800gts. My motherboard is a high-end (or atleast "was" high-end) Foxconn 590SLI. It's showing me FF, which is normal for most things. It seems to get all the way to XP and my account when the GFX fail (in addition to the normal FF), only to further say something about my video card.

According to XFX (I did indeed register with them as they said), I have a lifetime guarentee to a new card as long as I didn't physically torment it. Yeah, I did indeed not physically torment my poor baby.

Ideas, guys?

Yeah, I think that might be it...
- my PSU gets super-hot when running
- I *just* tried my X850XT booted from start to end without trouble... going to leave it a bit running to see if it'll freeze again

So, what do you guys suggest? Get a new card from XFX or get a new PSU...?

EDIT: X850XT running fine so far in safe mode (driver trouble obviously if I go to normal mode)...

My 8800gts was always at a good temp and there is practically *no* dust in my PC. Seems like my PSU is missing some juice ...

Got any good PSU suggestions at a low price (yeah I know these two don't go together well, but I can't go buying a 1000W PC power and cooling PSU right now)

I understand that you are having the problem with Geforce 8800GTS.

Based on what you said, this happens to my Geforce 6600GT AGP on my 300W PSU.

While i'm running Battlefield Vietnam... my computer suddently switched to desktop, NV_Sentinel suddently popped up and tell me that my card doesn't receiving enough power, so it is working in reduced perfomance.

Does this happens to you before your PSU conks you out?

This picture should help you out.

6600gtps8.jpg

1 long and 2 short beeps is indeed video card failure.

If it isn`t a psu issue and I have no reason to suspect it is, I`d say the 8800gts is faulty.

Also, since your X850XT is running fine, that`s yet another clue.

Regards Howard :)

Hm. Thanks for the responses, guys. I don't think the card itself is faulty, it worked fine for a while, with perfect temperature. Then it started slowly refusing to boot, until it now refuses to boot the whole time. The graphics, that is. The rest computer seems to boot fine, at least that's what my motherboard says.

I think I'll get a new power supply in this case. How is this PC Power & Cooling one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009
This time I don't want to skimp out, I want to get something stable, extremely reliable, durable, and something that will hold up to a few more future upgrades. Do you suggest some other PSU?

that is a amazing PSU i highly recremend it to all people i personaly am going to buy one in the near future when i upgrade my system:)

Hm. Thanks for the responses, guys. I don't think the card itself is faulty, it worked fine for a while, with perfect temperature. Then it started slowly refusing to boot, until it now refuses to boot the whole time. The graphics, that is. The rest computer seems to boot fine, at least that's what my motherboard says.

How did your problem work out?

The reason why I want to know is that I'm having a similar problem.

One long beep followed by two short ones.

No signal to the monitor.

When I turn on the power, the fan on the graphic card doesn't turn on, so I assume that no power is being sent to card or the card is broken.

Out of curiosity, I took out the card and the one beep followed by two short ones doesn't stop .

What do you all think I should do?

thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back