TechSpot

8800gts+

By Zilliak
Jan 29, 2009
  1. Well i have overclocked a 8800gts(g92) to a 9800gtx+ and i want it to run fear 2. Soi downloaded the demo and im getting like 30 frames, and sometimes a little stutter its not the over clock i tested everyhting but is it because of such heavy graphics of fear 2that makes this card stutter
    Im palying it on max everything on 1440 X 900
    with a amd 64 X2 2.5ghz with 3gb of ram windows xp sp2
    with a sb audigy sound card any suggestion on why such low frames?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,684   +394

Simple answer to this type of question is update your drivers.

3. Zilliak

Zilliak TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 164

All of my drivers are up to date even the newest nvidia patch. Every single driver is up to date

4. SNGX1275

Well, there went that idea :)

Maybe someone else knows, at least in the meantime I bumped this back up to the top for you.

5. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,426   +143

Wait you OVERCLOCKED to a 9800gtx+...? like an 8800gts at 9800gtx+ speeds? or upgraded?

Either way since you have latest drives...its probably not the card.

Check your settings, if your resolution is above 1024 x 768, maybe turn it down a bit, how big is your monitor?
    Also make sure you have AntiAliasing (AA) turned off.

I don't know much about FEAR2 graphics, but they might be a tad higher than your athlon can handle. If you can, try recording FPS, then overclock your CPU and recording FPS again to see if its higher.

Why do you have 3 gigs of RAM?

6. Zilliak

Yes its a g92 its a 9800gtx without the plus i just clocked it up to the plus and get 60 and below C while gaming so its nice and i play it on a 19" and 3 gb of ram for everthing else

7. hellokitty[hk]

Its probably not the problem, but 3 gigs is a weird amount, how does that work? You would need two or four identical RAM sticks to run full dual channel mode.

8. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

What kind of psu are you using. The game isn't even out yet, its a demo. You think it may not be your card at all?

9. hellokitty[hk]

Oh um, again i would say 90%+ cards can NOT handle newer games at that resolution IF you have anti aliasing on. AA is probably the number 1 FPS killer.

10. SNGX1275

2 1 gig sticks
    2 512meg sticks
    dual channel!

11. Zilliak

Im pretty sure you can have 2 gb running in Dual channel and 1 not read about it

only have 3 1 gb sticks and it sias 2 are in dual channel and 1 is isnt.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.