8800gtx Fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

British_Command

Recently I haven't been sure if my 8800GTX performance hasn't been 'up-to-scratch'. I bought my system from DELL featuring :
600GB HDD, 3GB RAM, 8800GTX 768MB, 425W PSU (!), Intel Quad Core 2.4Ghz

I'm getting around 40fps on Crysis if I run on 1440x900, mostly on High GFX but I think it is suppose to run better than that and cope with All High GFX at 60fps? I have DX10 and Windows Vista (although I dont know how much XP will improve the fps)

Also 3DMark06 rated the GPU at 11306 but my friend told me his similar system had scored 16,000 on the 3DMark06.

I'm not sure if it is Vista/DX10 that may be possibly causing the drop in fps (if any) or if it's DELL's cheap hardware, straightaway I think the PSU isn't enough to cope and I ran a temp. test getting 57C core temp. and 43C ambient temp. So overclocking isn't an option, atleast I don't think?

Is there anyway to specify what problem I have or is it clear that my DELL computer just has crappy hardware (from what I've read of other DELL systems). My DELL System is the XPS 420 for anyone who knows or has the same system.

Thanks for any help,
I'm a noob!

With VISTA, you're going to take a performance hit, so I'd say that 40 fps is right on the money. One other item to mention is that the psu just isn't up to snuff. You need at least a 500 watt or more psu to run that beast. I have an 8800 GTX card and when it's taxed, it sucks the power.

Crysis brings the fastest computers to their knees. My 8800GTS 512 runs Crysis at only 30 FPS on max. Crysis is kind of a modern version of Oblivion. Just like Oblivion, no hardware available around the time of release is nearly capable of delivering constant 60FPS at max settings.

Thanks.

Thanks guys, So basically because the PSU is a low wattage does that mean it limits the 8800GTX? So installing XP and getting rid of Vista and also replacing the PSU with a 500W/600W PSU I should be getting an extra 10fps?

But thanks for the reassurance, I'm quite pleased by how well it's running and if I can get an extra 5 - 10fps I will be even more so. Recommended PSU brands? Also apparently I need a PSU with a dual 12V voltage or something like that :p

Thanks for the info. though :D
Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back