8e BSOD trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardesco

Hey folks,

In yet another attempt to resolve my continuing issue with my PC randomly rebooting out of the blue, I'm posting a minidump that the computer actually managed to capture for once. Usually, my PC either hard locks up, or just resets out of the blue, and doesn't seem to discriminate between when I'm playing a video game or just reading an online newspaper.

A week or two ago, I ran memtest86+, 14+ passes, and there were zero reported errors when I checked the test half a day after I started it. The video card has been replaced with another in the last 3 months, but these lockups and random freezes have been happening for far longer. I really want to pin down ram as the faulty problem (since a lot of 8e BSOD seem to be related to bad memory, according to a google search), but I can't justify it with memtest coming up clean. Any ideas on what else I should look at?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI
RAM: OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (640 MB)
Disk Drives: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA,
Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150
PSU: Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W

Check that you're running the correct voltage for the RAM. Can you post a link to it?

The latest crashed at a mouse driver. It won't hurt to update them.

The ram voltage was set to "auto" in the bios. I got another weird random BSOD last night, relating to ks.sys, error code d1.

Anyways, I manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.9 Volts, we'll see how that goes.

There are many possible causes for BSOD, both hardware and software.

For hardware, check the following: BIOS settings reset to default, diagnostics on HDD.

For software, check the following: spyware, run chkdsk, Windows repair.

There are still others, but those are the ones that most often fix BSOD problems. Report back of the above don't work and will try some others.

-- Andy

Thanks for your suggestion,

I already run regular antivirus/antispyware checks with Symantec antivirus and spybot S&D. I did a clean reinstall of windows a few months ago, but that didn't seem to resolve the problem.

I just reset the bios settings to the default after I re-flashed my bios yesterday, and SMART info for both of my hard drives seem ok.

So, I ran Orthos today, and after a few hours of running, it detected a hardware error, and could not continue. It did not leave any stress.txt log file, which, when I googled, seems to all point towards a bad mobo/ram combo.

I did some more research, and discovered that my motherboard had configured the settings on my ram incorrectly, so I'm running now with manually set ram timing based off newegg specs and a higher voltage of 2.1V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back