9600 pro problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I recently bought a radeon 9600 pro, and simply put it refuses to work. When I plug the card into the machine and monitor into the card, the card refuses to talk to the monitor and the computer won't start up. It just sits there.

Here's my system specs/history

K7 Triton motherboard
athlon 1700+ 1.5 ghz
512 DDR
S3 Savage onboard video (more on this later)
20 gig hdd
previous card is a GeForce 4 Ti4200

Now, I got tech help from a few sources, most of which told me to disable the onboard video via the BIOS. The difficulty is I can't find it anywhere in integrated peripherals. Does anyone know why this is and/or how to shut the onboard off?

Next they told me to make sure all the drivers are removed (saying that people have had problems with nvidia/radeon conflicts). Someone recommended an nVidia driver removal program, the name of which they couldn't remember. I searched and found a program that gets rid of detonator files (on guru3d.com) but I don't use detonator as far as I know, and I don't see how it would affect me seeing how this seems to be a hardware issue.

Another note is that my onboard video won't work when the ati card is plugged in either (whereas it would work when the geforce was in).

One other thing: my motherboard supports 4X AGP, but I didn't see any 8X option. The card says it requires 4X/8X support, so is it possible my motherboard won't take the card because it can't handle 8X? I don't know much about these things...heh

Thank you

By default, adding an AGP card to the system will automatically disable the onboard video. Well it seems that its not the case when you installed the 9600 pro.

Have you tried looking in the motherboard manual for instructions to disable the onboard video in the BIOS?

If I were in your shoes, once I figured out how to disable the onboard video. I would install the Geforce Card, go to BIOS to disabled the onboard video after POST. Once I m in windows, I'll make sure all the nvidia drivers are completely removed from the system. Finally proceed to shutting down the system, then install the new ATI card.

Well if you motherboard supports only 4x AGP, the card will at most work at 4x. Frankly speaking, there isnt much of big difference between AGP 8X and 4x performance wise, therefore there's no need to worry too much about it.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to Techspot by the way.

Have you tried looking in the motherboard manual for instructions to disable the onboard video in the BIOS?

Yes. Everything in the manual is as it is in the BIOS.

If I were in your shoes, once I figured out how to disable the onboard video. I would install the Geforce Card, go to BIOS to disabled the onboard video after POST. Once I m in windows, I'll make sure all the nvidia drivers are completely removed from the system. Finally proceed to shutting down the system, then install the new ATI card.

That's basically what I did.

Well if you motherboard supports only 4x AGP, the card will at most work at 4x. Frankly speaking, there isnt much of big difference between AGP 8X and 4x performance wise, therefore there's no need to worry too much about it.

Well, at least that's not an issue.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to Techspot by the way.

Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back