9600XT or 5700U

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopezjo

I need some advice on which one of these two cards i should buy. I could get a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT for 125 Dollars on newegg and a Chaintech 5700 Ultra for 189 Dollars. Which is better for gaming?

neither one are good compared to a geforce 6600 gt which is incidentally in the same price range,it will blow away both these cards in any benchmark or any game,go with 6600 gt blindly.other two cards are rally old,this is relatively very new has 12 pixel pipelines,shader model 3.0 full direct x9 support very fast memory interface,i mean there is just no comparing this with the other two it completely desamates all.think of playing doom3 at 60+fps with this one,dont believe than just read around on the audio video forum or check out any benchmark.its even recommended by thg as the best buy for a video card,check out tomshardware.com for more.

I dont need all new features. This is for a semi-gaming machine. I dont need all the eye candy. I just need regular game play at a resolution of 1024x768. So which one is better?

you might not want or need all that eye candy but my point is you'll be wasting your money with either of these two cards(fx5700/9600xt)they are both outdated,you can get a much better card like 6600gt for the same price as these,so its reallya no brainer,stick with this card wether you plan to use it for hardcore or light gaming,it will outlast both the other card put together.you'll still be playing games with this one for atleast a couple of years with all the EYE CANDY you can handle.so that was my point,you might not need all the features of the new card and not plan to do heavy gaming on it,but since you asked my opinion and are shelling out 150$-200$ for a weak(not to mention old) card i advised you not to waste your money and get a 6600gt 'cause sooner or later you'll appreciate this card.in the end its your money and your choice,so do what you feel right,personally i would have given the money to charity rather than buy a 9600xt/5700u over a 6600gt but thats just my opinion(no matter if you dont need its features and all the eye candy,the other 2 are obsolete)

shadow_29 said:
neither one are good compared to a geforce 6600 gt which is incidentally in the same price range,it will blow away both these cards in any benchmark or any game,go with 6600 gt blindly.other two cards are rally old,this is relatively very new has 12 pixel pipelines,shader model 3.0 full direct x9 support very fast memory interface,i mean there is just no comparing this with the other two it completely desamates all.think of playing doom3 at 60+fps with this one,dont believe than just read around on the audio video forum or check out any benchmark.its even recommended by thg as the best buy for a video card,check out tomshardware.com for more.

No, the 6600gt doesn't have 12 pixel pipelines. It has 8. It doesn't have a faster memory interface either. It's 128bit, the same as the 9600xt. I think you're thinking of the 6800. It has 12 pixel pipes and a 256bit memory interface, and also costs more. The 6600gt is still an excellent card for the money though. Just be sure you get the agp version because the majority of 6 series cards are pci express. If you don't need eye candy, you could get a regular 6600 agp and it would cost less than the gt model. It still is better than the 9600xt and 5700u. It's pretty cheap too. Like this.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-197&depa=1
$140 us. If you have the money though, the gt is only $50 more.

ya sorry i got 6600gt(nv43) confused by 6800 (nv40/45),i have the habit of remebring the spec by the gpu model and got the 2 confused.but i stand corrected by the same recommendation i gave earlier,6600gt anyday over a 9600xt/5700u.sorry for the mixup.

"Same principle as a cxxxxx... I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one."

lopezjo said:
I need some advice on which one of these two cards i should buy. I could get a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT for 125 Dollars on newegg and a Chaintech 5700 Ultra for 189 Dollars. Which is better for gaming?
I'd pick 9600XT. The performance difference in games is not very noticeable, but the price is.

just upgraded from 9600xt

i just upgraded my set from an ATI 96000XT to a MSI 6600 GT AGP card. (initially bought the pci express bt accident without reading the finer details)

i loved the 9600 XT for the price point and what i got out of it, but with DOOM III i need a little more power. :slurp:

Thanx i think ill be getting the GT model of the 6600. Ive read reviews and seen benchmarks. You were right its a no brainer. Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back