9800xt vs fx5950

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA3

I've been thinking about upgrading my video card and am wondering which card to go with. From reviews it seems that Radeon has the edge right now, but i was wondering what some actual consumers thought of them... thanks

I don't have any experience with Nvidia cards....actually had been running an ATI Radeon64 VIVO for a long time and currently running a Sapphire 9600 Pro and a Radeon 9800XT on my machines. I've been happy with them all and have not had any driver issues. Normally I will update when new come out.

On the flip side, many of my friends that HAD been running Nvidia cards have come over to ATI and been happy. But it's all going to be on personal preference....there's a lot of happy Nvidia owners as well....many of them here.

Just my $.02

i would say they are both about equal in performance, its all up to personal preference and price difference.

with that in mind, i guess ill just have to take best price into more consideration, thanks for the advice!!!

R9800XT, hands down...

I've seen them side by side....

The Anti-Aliasing on the R9800 works *much* better than the FX...

I don't know if you are aware, but brand new cards from both ATI and Nvidia are due very soon...I wouldn't spend the $$ for an R9800XT or FX5950U right now....maybe an FX5900 or R9800PRO (Both are going for about $200 US, while the R9800XT and FX5950U are going for nearly twice that) both present better options if you can't wait to upgrade

Both offer plenty of horsepower, but ATI seemingly has the advantage in DX9 app's....

ATI will be announcing their new top of the line card in about 1 month, claiming it will be 1-3 times faster than the R9800XT...

Yes, ATi are releasing a new core, but it is simply 2 RV360 cores glued together, no (major) new features - just a bit more speed.
And then there is the nv40, new design, VS/PS3.0 and OGL 2.0 support, much improved AA and 16 full pixel pipelines - yes that says 16! Full - not the expected 8*2 - only twice as many as the RV420, and from the 5700/5950 or the 9600/9700 benchmarks we no just how much difference there is between 8 and 4.....image the difference between 16 and 8
ATi better prepare to get creamed.

ATi fans read and weep -> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14373

Steg

i suggest you the R9800XT. From Hercules or ASUS. As I know of, it beats the 5950 in nearly every part but not byt much. But ATI's support is excellent. As I've been with ATI for the last year it's twice as good as the support and quality I got from NVidia.
I recommend getting the R9800Xt when the new card comes out becuase it'll be dropped in price. Plus the new ATI card doesn't look to be as better quality than the 9800XT.

Hope this helps:D

Just got do reading a article on this... Go B&N and pick up CPU (Computer POWER USER) magizne, there special issue. called PC Modder. They do a break down on ATI and Nivida cards. From what I seen they the 9800xt wins over the Nivida 5950.. by only a few points..

in the final word part they say.

ATI, "TOP dollar for a top card. but on just."

Nivida. "Second only to ATI 9800 XT, and a pretty good over clocker, too.

I run an ATI on both of my rigs, The 9800 pro w/256 meg and the 9000 pro w/64 meg. Both do very well. I have a good buddy that run Nivida cards and Loves it.

I would have to say... WHO make the coolest look hat and tee shirt to wear around town, and go with them..

Originally posted by Steg
Yes, ATi are releasing a new core, but it is simply 2 RV360 cores glued together, no (major) new features - just a bit more speed.
And then there is the nv40, new design, VS/PS3.0 and OGL 2.0 support, much improved AA and 16 full pixel pipelines - yes that says 16! Full - not the expected 8*2 - only twice as many as the RV420, and from the 5700/5950 or the 9600/9700 benchmarks we no just how much difference there is between 8 and 4.....image the difference between 16 and 8
ATi better prepare to get creamed.

ATi fans read and weep -> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14373

Steg

Nvidia wouldn't release fake specs, and claim "ownage" over an ATI product, warning customers to wait and see just how much better their yet to be announced product is, thern release a sub-par, overpriced, and underperforming card now would they...

I mean not again! :D

grr.

To add some truth to that post about the new core from ATI being two cores slapped together. You obviously haven't been getting facts from anywhere but an Nvidia fan site or your own head. No offense but your comment about the ATI core not having any new features is complete bull. As soon as my NDA runs out, as others do as well. You'll see all the new ATI card has to offer. Even if the Nvidia card has 16 pipelines as now rumoured I haven't seen anything from Nvidia yet. So we'll have to wait and see as always.

Though if it does have 16 pipelines I don't want to see the price on the card.. I can only imagine.

A.

Re: grr.

Originally posted by Ayasha
To add some truth to that post about the new core from ATI being two cores slapped together. You obviously haven't been getting facts from anywhere but an Nvidia fan site or your own head. No offense but your comment about the ATI core not having any new features is complete bull. As soon as my NDA runs out, as others do as well. You'll see all the new ATI card has to offer. Even if the Nvidia card has 16 pipelines as now rumoured I haven't seen anything from Nvidia yet. So we'll have to wait and see as always.

Though if it does have 16 pipelines I don't want to see the price on the card.. I can only imagine.

A.

Please do, when does the NDA expire? Is it upon announement (Cebit)?

Also have to add, I've seen that at several places...some mis-informed souls think the R420 is to be a couple of RV360 cores....I can only guess this is because both are built using low-K dialetrecs (something nVidia has yet to do succesfully?) as well as using the .13nm process....

I'd just say ATi *cough*Steg=fanboy*cough* ;) J/k Steg...

I don't know; I'm happy with my Radeon 9800 Pro...amazing graphics and anti-aliasing.

It depends on personal preference. For the new cards coming out, I'll switch over to Nvidia if the card outperforms its ATi equivalent, so be open minded.

arnt the new cards that ati and nvidia anounced both pci express??? if so does that mean a new mobo too??:confused: :confused:

WARNING - Everything you read in the following post are the view of an nv*****!
I'd just say ATi *cough*Steg=fanboy*cough* J/k Steg...
That’s me! Nothing to deny there.
arnt the new cards that ati and nvidia anounced both pci express??? if so does that mean a new mobo too??
Nvidia will be releasing the NV40 (nice shiny new card) on an AGP8 interface and at the same time (it is said) the NV41 (an nv40 with an AGPtoPCIX converter glued to it) and at some point after the nv45 (a much tweaked nv40 with native PCIX support - thus more efficient.)
As for ATi the R420 is designed to run on AGP8 only with the R423 follows either shortly after or immediately with native PCIX support as far as I know.
So, if you buy AGP now then it won’t last the next round of motherboards (Socket 939 and Socket T) but if you buy PCIX then you need a new CPU and Mobo.
Please, I am not quite that stupid. Those stats I read straight off the Inquirer and ATi not long after officially claimed that the Inquirer had got it all wrong. However there is this : http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040213181043.html
it appears to show 2 more vertex engines which should do well for performance and
Improved FSAA patterns;
Improved anisotropic filtering patterns;
but both nvidia and ati have been claiming that with every new card for years. There is also
Overall improved architecture over R300
which actually tells us very little. There is nice news of GDDR 2 and 3 support which will help ramp up clock speeds without the problems of heat and power consumption. There is also the 500Mhz core clock will be nice. It mentions VS/PS 3.0 support which has been rumoured not to be supported and then rumoured that it is supported and then rumoured it is not supported etc. No mention of OGL 2.0 support - which nvidia have confirmed the nv40 will do. All in all it looks exactly like a heavily tweaked R360.
The difference with nvidia is that they have (apparently) completely redesigned their method of crunching pixel shaders and if the 16 pipeline rumours are true then the nv40 will simply steam roller everything. no arguments.
Also have to add, I've seen that at several places...some mis-informed souls think the R420 is to be a couple of RV360 cores....I can only guess this is because both are built using low-K dialetrecs (something nVidia has yet to do successfully?) as well as using the .13nm process....
and your proof is where? if all rumour are based on the process the core is manufactured with then the nv40 is 2 nv30 cores stuck together....I think not. nvidia has not used (as far as I know) the low-k 0.13 process and has instead gone for the 0.11 process - all sounds good to me - especially seeing as how hot nvidia cards seem to get.

And the bad news is that neither the nv40 nor R420/R423 will be show cased at CeBit - we will have to wait yet longer.

Just my $0.02

And all you ATi fans don't worry - I won’t hold it against you :D

Steg

EDIT - and a quote from Beyond3d to give hope to you nvidia supporters that have your doubts
NVIDIA’s CEO states that "if we’re not a lot more than 2 times faster I’m going to be very disappointed".
which bodes well for the nv40 - the r420 better be fast.

Steg

I still don't see a thing about two RV350 cored being slapped together to form the R420...where did you come up w/ that?

(And yes, the R420 will indeed be shown at Cebit, but you'll have to sign an NDA to be able to check it out....)

And I don't think you even know what low-K dialectrics are, you seem to think it has something to do w/ die size:confused:

Also, where did you find info about the NV40 being manufactured on .11nm wafers? That's just hogwash :haha:

I still don't see a thing about two RV350 cored being slapped together to form the R420...where did you come up w/ that?
this has been rumoured on various different sites - i just cant find anything that actually supports it when i need it :eek: so we will just ignore that one for the moment.
(And yes, the R420 will indeed be shown at Cebit, but you'll have to sign an NDA to be able to check it out....)
erm...nither ati or nvidia will be likely to have new cards at CeBIT - this has been confermed.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040303053212.html
And I don't think you even know what low-K dialectrics are, you seem to think it has something to do w/ die size
no i said nothing of the sort. nvidia uses a 0.13 FSG-based process while ati uses an (appartently more efficent) low-k process, nvidia just have not switched to low-k as ati did.
nvidias reasoning for this is appartently as follows
You may remember that Nvidia said in its recent conference call that low k is dangerous.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12639
and thats that....seems to have worked for ATi - nvidia dont want to risk it - nothing more to say
Also, where did you find info about the NV40 being manufactured on .11nm wafers? That's just hogwash
i didnt say the nv40 - nvidia have just started playing with the 0.11 process at TSMC - the 0.11 process probebly wont show up on consumer cards till the nv50
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040224125113.html
just to clear my name so i dont look like a right ***** :D

Steg

EDIT - sorry my mistake - indeed is does seem the r420 will be at CeBIT assuming u sign a NDA.....doh!
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14433
....still cant find anything on the r420 being 2 r360 cores....i have seen it somewhere...honest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back