TechSpot

$999 Xi3 Piston 'Steam Box' arriving November 29

By Scorpus
Oct 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Xi3's long-awaited Piston 'Steam Box' is finally arriving on November 29 (Black Friday), Xi3 announced today. The small, but modular gaming PC will ship with a range of pre-loaded games, although Xi3 is refraining from referring to the machine as...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

Depends how many "pre-loaded games" ship with it, and what quality games they are.

3. Is this thing going to have to use custom PCI cards because of it's size? What graphics card will fit in that thing? If the graphics card is not upgradable what's the point of having this? There's no reason to pay a premium over the cost of a console when you can't enjoy the PC's most coveted advantage, the ability to have better graphics...

This device will fail. It's not even a very good alternative to an Xbox or Playstation.

4. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,099   +111

Too expensive to be useful and has low performance.

ghasmanjr and hahahanoobs like this.
  5. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

That's got more ports than a harbor! Is it a gamer's box for the cloud or a multi-media center hub?

6. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Booster Posts: 465   +154

Are they kidding me....$999 to play video games? I thought Valve was smarter than this. The price alone will almost guarantee failure in the marketplace.

7. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,099   +111

I'm pretty sure that this "thing" has nothing to do with Valve. Valve's beta steam machines will launch latter and will become a reference for the rest. It's just Xi3 getting ahead of themselves and calling this a steam box just because they plan to use SteamOS.
    "although Xi3 is refraining from referring to the machine as an official Steam Machine"

8. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Waaaaaaaay overpriced; as-in, not even remotely close to being a tempting purchase. You're basically paying $700 for the form factor.

If this was $300, then it would be a good buy, but for $999, you could build a PC that is at least 5x more powerful.

SantistaUSA likes this.
  9. Mavrickx888

Mavrickx888 TS Member Posts: 64   +9

This is just Xi3's shot at the early adopter market. It's completely unsurprising that it's expensive. Look for Steam to be a lot more competitive in the pricing department when they release more information on the official Steam Machine.

10. I'm ok with the specs, but the price is ridiculous.

11. Khanonate

Khanonate TS Member Posts: 96   +8

12. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 423   +41

Well... at least it looks cool. I love all those ports too. Now if only they could get the price down to a reasonable level.

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,420   +821

As far as I'm (and a lot of people) are concerned, this is just another overpriced pile of crap. $999 indeed.

14. Built a Trinity APU system with 8gb RAM and 120gb SSD last year, and it cost me no more than $400. Also spent some $90 on various steam games that were on sale.

The $999 price is a joke. The hell is Valve thinking!?

15. Mavrickx888

Mavrickx888 TS Member Posts: 64   +9

Please, do not be confused. Xi3's "Steam Box" has next to nothing to do with an official Valve product. The only thing the two will have in common is the SteamOS.

16. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

@ $99.99 this thing takes off . If you need $999.00 for it then stop wasting time and money making this thing now

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.