A bit of a tip for n00bs like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

detoam

Hi there!
I have recently upgraded my memory to three gig from one Gig. the first thing I have noticed is how slowly Windows XP started to run. I, at first, thought that it was because the memory was so different. I have two sticks of dual channel DDR2 400 and one single channel of DDR2 667. Windows kept crashing from time to time and it was actually harder to play games or use any RAM hogging apps. Than I remembered that 32bit can only use up to 3Gig of RAM and the rest is a waste. Together with the paging file I had almost 4500MB of RAM. Being an inquisitive freak I decided to disable the paging file altogether. And the result is... much faster boot up and the system is running much smoother. Sadly because my RAM sticks differ so greatly from each other I had to turn the overclocking a bit down. But it still is running great.
So if You got the same issue try that and see what happens.

Sadly it's not recommended to turn it off all together, as some programs and games look to the paging file specifically, not just the entire virtual memory (Page file + Ram)

Therefore, you must have some paging file set up
If any of your programs or games fail to run, set the paging file up again
There was a thread on Min and max guidelines (but it was removed !) but the absolute minimm page file should be 50Meg, and usually at least a gig (about a gig) min and max on your system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back