A blue screen that says "unmountable_boot_volume"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sputnik

Hi All,
This problem is with a hp laptop (not the computer I'm using now) with windows xp home.
When I try to start up the computer, the hp logo comes up... then the screen that says windows was shut down improperly comes up, and when I click on the option to start windows normally, the xp logo comes up and goes off... then a blue screen flashes that says "unmountable_boot_volume" than it goes back to hp logo and then goes back to the improperly shut down screen.
When I try to start in safe mode a lot of writing scrolls down the page, and then nothing happens and if I hit enter the whole loop starts all over again.

When I restart the computer (while holding F11) using the hp recover disc it brings up system information with two options F1 resume or F2 setup or exit. I tried F1 and the computer went into the same loop. When I tried F2 the first time it brought me into the system recovery disc, I didn't want to reformat it (I have pictures on hard drive I don't want to lose) so I exited it. The second time I tried F2 it took me into hp e diagnostic tool (which I ran and this was the outcome...
HDDO (Pri Mst)
Test Failed 12/31/07 17:44:46
HDDO (Pri Mst): Smart Error
Error Code: 9640) ,
I do have access to system settings in the hp e diagnostic tool. Is there anything I can do with the hp e diagnostic tool to help me restart the computer so I can get in there, so I can save my files?
One more thing...
Someone told me that I should disable SMART then try. Is this possible and if so how do I do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Just back to the F8 sequence
Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration ?

If so then
Have you tried Safe mode with command prompt ?
If you are able to get to Safe mode command prompt, you can then do one of two things:
No.1 Type:
chkdsk c: /f
This will check the drive for errors, and fix them if possible (note: space after c: )
No.2 Type:
c:\windows\system\restore\rstrui.exe
This will enable you to run system restore, restoring your computer to an earlier date, when it worked.

I hope this helps

thanks Kimsland, but...
When I click on "Safe mode with command prompt" a bunch of writing scrolls down the page and theres nowhere to type.
Any other suggestions, I hope

The bunch of writing is suppose to stop and then give you the safe mode prompt action.

Once a user reported that hitting ESC key just at the point of freeze up, allowed continuation. Please try that.

Otherwise you can actually run the checkdisk from the Windows CD bootup "R" prompt (this is the first "R" prompt) Which also takes you to the command screen

thanks kimsland,
but I don't have a CD boot up, I do have floppies but when I try to boot up using the floppy, this message came up "file\bios.inf could not be loaded error code 4108"
I tried the ESC key but no luck.
can you think of any other way to get to my hard drive?
thanks again

This the problem
Sputnik said:
HDDO (Pri Mst)
Test Failed 12/31/07 17:44:46

Your Hard Drive has already been stated as failed test.

At this stage I can only see your option as:

Physically remove the internal harddrive
Locate another Computer, which you can plug the harddrive in as Slave
Try to backup all your Pictures/Documents or other
Return the HardDrive back to your Hp
Run the HP recovery Disc (Note: this still may not work, due to faulty HardDrive)
Or purchase another HardDrive, fit that, and then run the Recovery CD

Actually I have another option (the last line prompted me)
Purchase a new HardDrive for your system (Sata or IDE ?)
Mount inside your computer as the main HardDrive
Run the Recovery CD (ie install Windows)
Once complete, Then, mount your original HardDrive as Slave in your computer (that is, connect it to the CDrom cable)
Try to recover your data yourself
Once all backed up, Remove your faulty HardDrive (Reconnect Cd/DVD)

That'll work
As long as you know how to replace your harddrive
Please refer to your manual, for this process (and cautions)

I just had this problem with a customer's laptop! Turned out to be a defective HDD. Run a diagnostic program on the HDD to see if it's defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back