TechSpot

A brief hello to all

By sportinlife54
Sep 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi. I know not everybody reads these things so I won't go into agonizing detail. Most of the basics about me are in my bio.

As to my purpose here, it's simple. I manage to figure out and solve almost all my tech troubles myself. However, I have never claimed to know everything, to have never made mistakes, or to anything close to being perfect. My ego is not so small and fragile that I can't ask for help and I certainly don't find saying I was wrong emasculating in any sense. Other times, I figure why struggle analyzing a problem for days on end when an answer can be found in a fraction of that time by asking for help?

I worked for over 30 years on the industrial side of electronics starting out doing component level troubleshooting and repair on straight TTL logic microprocessorless mini computers. Ah yes, the days of 15" X 18" 8K core memory boards and Teletype Corporation ASR33 teletypes with punch tape interface; 16 platter 500 MB hard drives that cost over $60,000.00, Lear Siegler ADM3 series dumb terminals, 8" floppies, dual well cassette drives. What a not so long ago strange trip it's been! I went on to specialize in PC/PLC based controls and software, all kinds of I/O and servo systems, motor drives, motors, and way more. I became very proficient in not only electronics and controls, but hydraulics and pneumatics.

I'm also a pretty good wrench when it comes to internal combustion motors and things that go vroom! especially of the two-wheeled variety. Among my interests are I'm a serious music lover in both audio gear and music itself. I'm an amateur historian with a special interest in European/world history pre WWI through post WWII and as an offshoot from that am a keen WWI / WWWII military model builder specializing in armor, self propelled artillery, artillery, and other vehicles, all primarily Axis. I'm a way too old for it but love it too much to stop PC gamer as well. I'm a voracious reader and amateur writer among other things. Having always had a wide range of interests and being obsessive about things that grab my attention, I tend to know a little -sometimes even a lot- about a lot of different things. Some deluded souls have even referred to me as "interesting". I'll leave that assessment to others.

So, the appearance of a video replay problem that only appears with one bit of software had me stumped and I came across this site while searching for an answer. Initially, I really like what I see so I think I will hang around and get a feel for things.

Hopefully, I can help some folks as well.

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Hello and welcome to TechSpot. :)

World war stuff has always been fascinating for me as well, a lot of people really don't realise how agonisingly close Hitler came to winning the war. Or how the USA came literally hours away from being bombed on its home soil by bombers 50 years ahead of the current technology at the time.

Welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll find plenty of people here to help with your computer related questions or problems.

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

I would describe that bio as interesting.
    Welcome to TechSpot, hope you stick around.
    "I'm a way too old for it but love it too much to stop PC gamer as well.", didn't know there was a age limit. I plan on playing for as long as I can hold the controller, aim the mouse etc. :D

4. sportinlife54

sportinlife54 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

Thanks for that! As far as gaming I have had some mixed reactions from other gamers when they find out my age. Fortunately it doesn't come up much. I always fret that a kid will tell his parents he met this cool guy in a game who is like 56 years old and immediately his parents think I'm some kind of perv cruising the game sites. I have to be double cautious about what I say because I'm pretty gregarious anyway.

As for the longevity of my interest in gaming, well me too and by the time I get that much older where I can't I expect some new device will be available that will let me keep on playing! At last count I had like 80 games on my Steam account and almost that many on my computer. I know I have 100 or so that I've played or started and didn't like. I have like 8 different joysticks, a couple gamepads, and a pair of wheels and pedal sets, and a TrackIR which I wish worked with more games. I always use a trackball anyway for everything I do so it's my peripheral of choice for keyboard/mouse gaming. I still keep a gaming mouse handy though I rarely use it.

Best of all is I am retired so i can play as little or as much as I want and my wife never objects or complains i am on the computer too much!

I must have been a good person in my last life!

5. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

Well you are 20 years my senior but I started playing games when Pacman came out(when I was 6 or 7) so I'm don't consider myself a spring chicken in the eyes of the gaming community either. I thought I'd weened myself off of gaming a bit but found that I'd just sunken all my time into one or two instead of jumping about multiple different games like I used to on the Atari 800, Commodore Amiga and my first PCs. Counterstrike, Diablo II and then World Of Warcraft were the main time sinks for me. Don't have that many joysticks (have a few Competition Pro sticks for the Amiga packed away somewhere and maybe a Quickfire) but got into consoles with the Playstation, XBox, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and the Wii (more for my gf to play along with me on than for myself, honest!).

Again welcome to the community, I think our membership is fairly spread across the age spectrum so you should meet some other "old timers" ;)

6. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,057   +8

Hi sportinlife54 :wave:

Nice to have such an experienced hand aboard.

Now the standard stuff.

Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.