a bunch of networking questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dae_amp_ika_dtp

i have a few questions about networking. right now my current setup is a cable modem connected to a Linksys Cable/DSL router model BEFSR41, two ports being used, one to my xbox and one to my PC.

i coudnt find the original plug for the router, its supposed to be 9v 1000mah. but im using a 9v 800mah would this not fully utilize the router?

for networking,will using crossover cables be better than using straight cables? is there any change in speed?

how do i connect a switch to the router? do i use a crossover cable into the "1 port" on the switch? or can i just use a straight cable?

any help is apreciated. thanks in advance.

dae_amp_ika_dtp said:
i coudnt find the original plug for the router, its supposed to be 9v 1000mah. but im using a 9v 800mah would this not fully utilize the router?
If it works, and has done for a while, then it's fine. If anything it would fail to provide enough power for the router - but the current rating is a maximum, so if it's been working, it's not a problem.

for networking,will using crossover cables be better than using straight cables? is there any change in speed?
Not at all. Crossover cables simply have a "twisted pair" of wires that are crossed over. It's mainly used to connect two computers directly without the aid of a router.

how do i connect a switch to the router? do i use a crossover cable into the "1 port" on the switch? or can i just use a straight cable?
If you have four ethernet ports on your router, it already has a switch. If you need an additional switch connected into the router use a straight cable plugged into the input port if it has one, else plug it into port1.

of course, instructions vary between type and manufacturer of switch. Reading The Friendly Manual helps a lot.

any help is apreciated. thanks in advance.
You're welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back