A classical question: Which antispyware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itaosl

This is a classical question. on the selection of antispywares programs. I am currently using Spyware Doctor and my license is due to expire. .I have received an offer of 20% of from PC Tools if I renew my licence due the next 10 days. I am also having legal licences for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware , SuperAntiSpyware and stopzilla. These last 3 are not installed on the system. I would like to ask what is the program or combination of programs you are suggestion to use in order to be safe .I am highly sensitive with these issues due to past tragic experiences that cost me to loose a lot of data and money.Just figure that in order to recover I had no choose than to format the laptop.
thanks!

I think you can pin down to some specific mix which will help you ward off any threats; I have been using an AV + Firewall + MBAM combination for ages; and periodically i check my system with ESET's online scanner; personally I have had no issues with virus/malwares etc. since well 18 years now I think. May be I've been lucky; but there are couple of things I usually do i.e. use 'due diligence' (sorry for using a financial term here but I guess it describes best what i mean;)) especially when plugging in external storage devices from other sources ...... and keep your security related software + Browsers & OS updated.

Your first priority is to not logon as an Admin and to use an LUA/UAC account (forced on Vista and Win/7). This by itself will reduce the impact that can corrupt your system.

Your second is to use a better browser than IE (almost any you can pick would do).

Add a router, bidirectional Firewall, and THEN the question you post becomes germane.

And after all that effort, no security package will protect the system when a user just clicks any/everything in sight and is not careful where they go surffing ...

no security package will protect the system when a user just clicks any/everything in sight and is not careful where they go surffing
The above sums everything up :)
Regarding your programs...
You can safely drop Spyware Doctor.
As of today, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are considered as the best antispyware tools, you can get.
Stopzilla is considered as rogue program and should be uninstalled.

As of today, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are considered as the best antispyware tools, .

Can I use both of both of them at the same time?

Also my kasperky intenet security licence is due to expire.I noticed perhaps due to bad use of my laptop that kaspersky takes most of the CPU usage.It used to go up to more than 30%-40% and that is the percentage only taken by kasperky. I am happy with this antivirus program but I have been told that AVG professional is the best in the market nowdays.Should I continue to use kasperky or should I pass to AVG pro?

Can I use both of both at the same time?
You can have both of them installed, but I'd run only one of them in real-time (preferably MBAM).
I'm assuming, you have paid versions of both.

Kaspersky is an excellent AV program.
I stopped recommending AVG, since ver. 8.0 came out. Too many problems.
If you're looking for some very good free AV programs....

- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
NOTE. During installation, Comodo will also allow you to install AV only, or firewall only, if you prefer to combine one Comodo product with some other product.

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use Comodo firewall..
If you decide to install Comodo Internet Security, or just Comodo firewall, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

You can have both of them installed, but I'd run only one of them in real-time (preferably MBAM).
I'm assuming, you have paid versions of both.

Kaspersky is an excellent AV program.
I stopped recommending AVG, since ver. 8.0 came out. Too many problems.
If you're looking for some very good free AV programs....

- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/
NOTE. During installation, Comodo will also allow you to install AV only, or firewall only, if you prefer to combine one Comodo product with some other product.

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use Comodo firewall..
If you decide to install Comodo Internet Security, or just Comodo firewall, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

Thanks.I am indifferent whether the program is paid or not.I can have my company pay for the licences.I just need the best program available in the market not matter whether it is free or not Kasperky internet security comes with a firewall.As I said I am pleased with this tool but the hight cpu usage makes me kinda sceptical. So I would appreciate much any further suggestions

I am indifferent whether the program is paid or not
I asked, because only paid versions of Malwarebytes and Superantispyware offer real-time protection.
If you didn't buy anything yet, I'd buy Malwarebytes and use free Superantispyware version as a second on-demand scanner.
As for AV programs, I gave you some options already.

The basics in security is:
  • One antivirus program> kept updated, starts on boot and runs in the background.
  • One firewall> best choice is a bi-directional firewall. That is on that 'listens' at both incoming and outgoing ports. You should only have one software firewall but can also use a router for the added security of built in hardware firewall. Starts on boot, runs in background. Configured for your special uses.
  • Two or more anti-spyware programs> combination of 'types' is best.
    I recommend Spywareblaster: for everyone: SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX. It places kill bits to stop bad Active X controls from being installed. Remember to update it regularly.
Antispyware programs can be 'prevent' or 'find and fix'. Some will do both. That's why a combination is best. Some users prefer to combine their security in a 'suite'. Suites require payment and subscriptions. I prefer the free-standing programs, most of which are free. Some have free AND paid versions. Make sure what you get will fix what it finds.

Here are some additional steps to keep your computer clean and secure:

• 1.Disable and Enable System Restore: This will help you to drop the old restore points and set a new, clean one. See
    System Restore Guide

2.Stay current on updates:
  • Visit Microsoft Download Site.You should get All Critical and the current SP updates.:
  • Visit Adobe Reader site. Make sure you have the most current update. Uninstall any earlier updates as they are vulnerabilities.
  • Check Java Updates Stay current as most updates are for security. Uninstall any earlier versions in Add/Remove Programs.

3.Make Internet Explorer safer. Follow these suggestions HERE This Tutorial will help guide you through Configuring Security Settings, Managing Active X Controls and other safety features.

4.Remove Temporary Internet Files regularly: Use ATF Cleaner by Atribune or TFC

5.Consider these programs for Extra Security
  • IE/Spyad .This places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts files This replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.
  • Google Toolbar Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.

6.See Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resourcesfor descriptions of and links for security programs.

And always keep in mind: You, the user, are the first line of security.

At No. 2 Adobe Reader is more of a bloatware now and painfully slow IMHO; there are better alternatives available like Foxit; which are much more faster and do the job. Same goes for google toolbar; I wouldn't be bothered about it at all; if you use FF well you need not to worry about them at all because it does it for you out of the box (i.e. taking care of pop ups), and there are many good addons which also give you ability to allow which active content to run only from sites you trust, and protect yourself against XSS and Clickjacking attacks etc.

Also while installing freeware, I'd advise to avoid any additional stuff they may offer.

I prefer-and have- the FoxIt reader instead. But since everyone starts out with Adobe, it is best they know to keep it updated. Even if they use FoxIt, if they don't uninstall Adobe, their systems are vulnerable.

Thats every bit correct Bobbye; and make sense. How about we make an advisory/guide of sorts to tell people what they should install on their freshly installed OS; perhaps making it more secure from the start ? I don't know if there is any here; and probably you being a pretty good at this; may write one; or it can be a collaborative effort.

Make sure Step-1 is to setup the LUA/UACaccount and to change the admin password(s).
It's far easier to start right than to migrate Admin created user files into an LUA/UAC account :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back