TechSpot

A confused noob

By Rubberducky07
Jul 29, 2008
  1. hey everyone, im new to all this so forgive my noobness.
    I had my \first question today. I bought a Radeon HD 3650 1gb and according to everyone a nvidia graphics card at a even lower price would be alot better card. I dont get it, alot of other graphics cards that i have researched have worse specs than my radeon, but they still seem to be better.Is it just because nvidia focuses more on the graphics? someone please tell me which nvidia graphics card i can get that is better than the one i have, at around 120-150 dollars.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

When you get video graphics cards above 256 MB, a great number of them do not work well. Some at 512 mb, and most above that require a very good motherboard as well as a good graphics cards. You can see comparisons tests at TomsHardware.com and others where the 256 mb cards work about as well as the 1 GB.
    Look at the reviews at Toms Hardware first. They have a new series of detailed exams every single month.
    The new ATI cards are really very good, as well.
    But do NOT count on memory as the significant aspect... e.g. 64 to 128 to 256 to 512 to 750 to 1 GB does not necessarily mean moving to faster or better.
    Even in nVidia cards, the differences between one card and another are mysterious.
    Then reliability is another factor to worry about.

3. Rubberducky07

Rubberducky07 TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok thanks. So then what card at the same price or lower would you recommend me getting? My computer specs are as follows:
    windows vista(hp)
    amd athlon 64 x2 dual core proccessor 5200+ 2.60ghz
    3.oo gb of ram
    32 bit operating system

Do you think a 9600gs or a 8800gt at about 100-150 are good?

4. Rubberducky07

Rubberducky07 TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok thanks. So then what card at the same price or lower would you recommend me getting? My computer specs are as follows:
    windows vista(hp)
    amd athlon 64 x2 dual core proccessor 5200+ 2.60ghz
    3.oo gb of ram
    32 bit operating system

Do you think a 9600gs or a 8800gt at about 100-150 are good?
    Edit/Delete Message

DO you think my comp. is good?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.