A couple issues that are beyond me..

jonny702

So I have a couple of very strange issues. The first is a random BSOD when my laptop goes into sleep mode. Upon resuming, my screen doesn't actually go blue, but shows a really weird looking display with some vertical lines, before going to the "windows was not shutdown properly" screen. I have a Toshiba A300-07G with Windows 7 ultimate cleanly installed. I have viewed the dumpfile using bluescreen view and come up with the following;

Bug Check String : THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug Check Code: 0x100000ea
Parameter 1: fffffa80`07a3ca10
Parameter 2: 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3: 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver: dxgkrnl.sys
Caused By Address: dxgkrnl.sys+6f63

I'm guessing it's an issue with my display driver but I'm not too sure. I have tried updating the driver from ATI's website but to no avail. I was then going to try and update the driver from toshiba's website, but that brings me to problem number 2;

Some websites will not show up at all. I get the standard page cannot be displayed. I have tried alternate browsers, I have tried doing a triple pass low level format and reinstalling windows, I have tried reseting the browser settings, clearing the cache, disabling Norton IS 2010, using a different network...... I'm at my witt's end!!!

among the websites I have had trouble with are toshiba's canada website, A radio stations website, HP's canada website.... it seems completely random and I know the websites are working... just not on my machine. HELP!!!!

To help us give you more definitive help do the following:

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

All five errors are 0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

The driver in question is the ATI atikmdag.sys which is not loading. A lot of people have experienced issues with this one. Either update to the latest drivers or the one just previous to the latest release. Try the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

That is awesome, so far it looks like it worked, I figured it was the graphics driver but I couldn't come up with that solution, glad you could :)

Now my second issue... This is a total mystery to me. Any thoughts on that? I've tried everything and I still can't go to some websites... in fact to download my new ATI driver, I had to use my other PC...

Scan for infections and you might want to read the UPDATED 8 Step sticky for information at our Virus and Malware Removal forum.

Ahhhh!! it did it again!! another BSOD on system resume, and I followed the instructions to a tee.

With respect to the website issue. I appreciate it, however, I did a triple pass with CBL data shred, reinstalled windows and the issue remains.... That's why I'm so stumped

The windows 7 driver for the ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650 v 8.634.1.0 for my laptop model PSAG4C-07G01C from Toshiba's Driver support page. It was only listed on there as "AMD display driver".

Since this is still under warrenty whether it is hardware or software you should be covered. The actual probable cause as listed in your minidumps is the Windows OS driver dxgkrnl.sys. But the thing with OS drivers is they are usually too general to be of much use diagnostically. They more state that there is a problem than point to where the problem is or be the problem itself.

The ATI driver atikmdag.sys was consistently cited as not being able to load. Thus the reason for updating the drivers. This usually takes care of the issue.

Contact Toshiba tech support and make sure you give then the error code, that your minidumps were read and how dxgkrnl.sys was cited as the probable cause but that the ATI driver atikmdag.sys was also persistently cited as not loading. And anything else you can think of.

** Keep us updated.

Back