A Crash - Hard Drive is OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
(okay, so I am Wilma Flintstone with a dinosaur)

6-7 year old Presario
AMD Athlon Proc.
14gig HD
W98/IE6

First - the mouse was "hijacked" (zipped across the screen then disappeared) so I cleaned it, but it wasn't really dirty
Then - the computer wouldn't allow me to do anything, not even ctrl-alt-del
I do a hard restart - starts to boot but doesn't.

All I get is the red "Compaq" screen that appears before Windows boots.

I opened up the computer and cleaned out the bunnies, plugged in and restarted - same thing.

I checked out the cables and found a split but had an open plug before it so I used that - same thing, so that wasn't it.

I have 2 fans and they run fine, overheating doesn't seem to be an issue either, though it may have had a hot moment, who's to know, I never noticed a "hot smell".

I removed my hard drive and placed it into our newer computer, plugging it into the slave port (it only had one available spot to plug it in, unlike my older one with many extra connections). I plugged in the power and started it. I booted up with my hard drive not with the newer drive (128 gigs, XP). But it booted up okay and I played with some of my programs - the ones I was on when it crashed. I didn't lose anything on the HD so that's ok.

So my questions are - would it be a cable, processor or mother board?

And how do I get the newer computer to boot in XP with my 98 HD in it and copy off my 6 gigs of needed graphics and material? I'm really good at backing things up, which is what I was preparing for when this happened (I am a graphics designer and was finishing a collection).

I would like to keep using this computer so much as it still runs or is cheap to fix. This is the first hardware failure I have had (other issues were caused between the keyboard and chair - sometimes me, sometimes kids). This computer has been a great buy although I get slammed for buying a Compaq. All computer companies have their lemons. I do notice that some things on the internet I can no longer get upgrades for or access, oh well, that's why we bought a new one. I can still make my graphics on this one and burn them to CD. So despite being antiquated, I want to keep using it if I can.

Thanks in advance for your time!

hollyann,
"graphics designer" Windows 98, 7 year old computer...

It's long past the time for a new computer, but you know this. Are you runnung Windows 98SE? It is possible to move your data I believe. What are you using for making backups? Floppies, Tape? CD?

Yes, W98SE. As far as backups, I burn them to CD and if I plan on using the CD a lot I make 2, one to put away. CD's are fairly cheap these days.

When I put my HD in the new computer it only acknowledged my HD and not the one with XP on it, W98 booted only. When XP is the only HD it is C, when 98 was connected it was drive C. I was hoping XP would boot and going to My Computer I would find my HD in the list so I could explore and copy, go back to the XP My Dox and paste (just the 6 gigs of important stuff). Then I won't be so hard pressed to fix the dinosaur, yet still plan too (while parts are still available). I do remember the days of playing games loaded from a tape player (am I showing my age?).

Originally I paid $1800 for the whole system, with printer, scanner, etc. That was back in 2000. Last February I bought 20x the system for half that.

I can build you an XP system for $400

It's time for you to get out of the stoneage. I can just imagine how you complete you work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back