A DARNED good reason to get firefox and ditch IE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

Just saw this posted on another forum. It's very short, and worth a look if you use IE as your main browser...

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?p=354125#post354125

edit: they've removed the link - perhaps it's for the best. In short, somebody posted the source code for a page that when opened, would present you with a popup box you couldn't get out of without task manager unless you clicked yes. Clicking yes ran the rest of the vb script which ran command line instructions on your computer. In this case, it was t warn you that the computer would shut down in 100 seconds because you'd been 'hacked', and then your coumputer would shut down.

I didn't test it, but it looked like it would work, and it's now been removed so I assume it would. Not nice.

personally, I've never really cared for firefox..... I use its daddy - Mozilla. I find it to be more powerful.

who cares about the size. It's what you can do with it.
Unless your hard disk is puny.

or if you are on dialup, which most of the world still uses. Also Opera ppl have said that a smaller download size is important for them.
This may not be related but try this : open 50 blank tabs in mozilla/ff and then open 300 tabs in Opera. Opera is just plain slick!

I still prefer Mozilla. I don't know why. It's not the branding, it's not the user interface, and it's not the features...

...It's purely because I don't like Opera, but I've never really been able to put my finger on why this is either.

Strange but true.

After a moments thought though, I don't think this is a subject for this forum. My original post was security related and the thread now seems off-topic. Debates about which browser is best, beyond the scope of IE being insecure, probably belong to the Misc. Software and Utilities forum.

don't see what dial up has to do with it..... once your browser is loaded, it's loaded..... your modem speed really doesn't have much to do with your browser....

Tedster said:
don't see what dial up has to do with it..... once your browser is loaded, it's loaded..... your modem speed really doesn't have much to do with your browser....
Guess you haven't tried to dl a 12.6 meg file over dial up when your family only has a single phone line and someone else wants to use the computer at night.
3.6 megs on the other hand can be done pretty quickly.

oh I most certainly have. My father has dial up and even Windoze updates are painful.... but once you have the program, you got it. If it takes all night to download a worthwhile program, one should make the effort if they're interested.

Heck, I remember when pop got a virus on his HD and I had to erase EVERYTHING. It took me 3 days of downloading to get it right. It's always painful when I visit him because he uses dial-up.
Now I try to come prepared and put most of the programs on a flash drive. The only thing I have to download is windoze updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back