A fan related topic...very easy..i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazy_duz_em

Fan Question...
So i'm using an old AMD-Duron CPU cooler as an VGA cooler for another old device(G4 MX440)...but i'm in a some kind of dillema..the cooler has 3 wires
RED YELLOW AND BLACK.
I think the black wire is the ground but not sure about the + wire .Already burnt a cooler so i don't want to experiment.. any help?

I don't have your specific fan in front of me, but most three wired fans are wired as follows:

the black wire is ground

the red wire is 12V+

the yellow wire is the speed sensor (this wire is not necessary)

hope this helps :)

The black is ground, the red is +12v, and the yellow is speed sensor output.
(I have wired up over 1000 fans in the past, it was part of my job once).

You're both wrong

I'm sure the Yellow is speed sensor, the RED is +12V and the Black is ground.
LOL. :haha:

kirock said:
You're both wrong
??? :confused: ???

i guess you were just poking fun at the fact that his question was answered twice already... hehe :D

but the reason i mentioned its important that the fan is not in front of me is that not all fan makers use the standard black/red/yellow wire colors, so it is possible that his could be different.

I was just poking fun at the answer being given twice and so decided to reverse the order of the answer as well to make it appear your answers were wrong. I'm so clever......NOT. :D

I think all fan producers will make the colours mean the same thing. As far as I know, its the industry standard, so why change it?

If there's any fan that doesn't conform to this, I'd like to buy one :D

true... it is the industry standard, but there is no law or anything that requires a manufacturer to conform to it.

I have fans with all clear wires, i have fans with all black wires, i have a fan with blue/black/red, i have a fan with blue/black/blue wires.

other color schemes are not very hard to find. (next time dont post what you think, just post what you know HAHAHA ;) :D)

weird....

I forgot that they do make fancy coloured ones, but having plain old blue/black/red or blue/black/blue wires seem to me like they don't know what they're doing. Its colour coded for a reason..... Switching the colours don't seem to serve any purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back