A genius or insane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SittingDuckie

Hi,

After much research and deliberation, I envisioned the following wet-dream PC with one goal in mind: high fps. Will also mount vista on this, but I can get this for free (academic alliance). Would be interested to know whether i should get 64 version or 32 though? Already have a reasonable dvd writer. This is intended to work with a 19" acer widescreen TFT monitor.

Pls if you wouldn't mind taking a look and deciding if I'm a genius or insane and if there's anything else I may have not considered?
Thanks

£2,747.75 (includes delivery)

Western Digital Raptor X 150GB S150 10,000rpm
£128.88

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
£60.41

Thermaltake VA7000BWA Shark Case - Black with Window No PSU
£83.76

CoolerMaster 1000W REAL POWER PRO MODULAR PSU
£154.30

2x EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB DDR3 PCIE DUAL DVI HDTV
£801.98

Corsair Memory 4GBKIT (2X2GB) 800MHZ NON ECC CL5
£190.59

EVGA S775 nForce 680i SLI ATX "Black Pearl" Version
£323.12

Intel Quad Core Extreme QX6850 3.00GHz S775 8mb Cache
£610.98

physX PPU
£200

KillerNIC network card
£180

You probably won't need the physX card. Are you going to be playing games that utilize it? I'd wait and get it later if you think you still need it, but those 8800s are going to fly through anything out there now on their own.

I'm also a bit concerned with the need for a really expensive NIC, I can't imagine that being worth the £175 difference over a £5 one.

Make sure you get Vista64 with that 4 gigs of RAM.

Hello, , and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your question, that sounds like a pretty good setup but you'll need a 64bit OS to utilize all the 4gb of ram. Like SNGX1275 said, you probably won't need the physyx card just yet and you don't really need a £180 lan card ;) I think mine was £3 and it works fine :)

The KillerNIC only shows improvement in FPS in WoW, FEAR and CS:S. So it's just your call. It doesn't drastically improve performance, just noticeably so. Google for some reviews. Also, you're missing one major component. Cooling. Unless, you want that PC to become a flaming £2700 paperweight. ;)

Everlong18 said:
How I envy you with that PC.

same, i plan a new pc some time next year but it still won't be anywhere near as good as that unless prices drop significantly ;)

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
...Unless, you want that PC to become a flaming £2700 paperweight. ;)

very good point which also made me chuckle :) personally i'd go for zalman for the cpu and gpu and a couple of good 120mm fans if the case can take them, which it should be able to if it's been made in the last 3 years :p

I'm starting a new pc next year also Daveskater.

Then i'm going to build one for Windows vienna (vienna is the codename), which should be released around about 2009.

Regards Jase :)

Sorry about the rule breaking and thanks for comments and feedback.

I've now updated my profile to include a fairly detailed description of my current PC. It needs replacing as cs:s has low fps (as low as 10 during firefights, with all settings configured for performance) and crashes with looping sounds.

With regard to cooling, I can't quite decide whether the black pearl series comes equipped with its own cooling, how much of the system that is equipped to cool (if its there) or if it is simply built to support 1/2" or 3/8" water cooling systems (and includes none of the above). I'm finding it all a little confuzzling.

The quad-core PSU, both cards and the two high-speed HDDs will generate a lot of heat. Be prepared for the worst. Watercooling would be the best option IMO. You'd be needing a lot of fans for air-cooling otherwise.

your profile says that memtest shows one of your ram sticks to be badly damaged

try taking that one out and see how cs:s is then

Thought of that, result was even poorer fps and the crash came fairly quickly. I would suggest you don't waste your time trying to figure that problem out until I've done a proper post on it, as there's a lot of details to be documented. its 50/50 as to whether I'll ever get round to this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back