A good sound card for gaming?

By ThunderPower
Jan 15, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I really need to update my sound card (I have an onboard Realtek ALC888) and I need to stay within a $100 price range. I want a good, clear card that won't crackle or anything like that, and is good for gaming. It doesn't need to be perfect, but anything that's good for gaming and better than a Realtek ALC888 would help.

So, any suggestions?
  2. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,000   +11

Is ALC 888 that bad? I thought ALC has 5.1 setup already? (20-bit)
    I suggest that you put a 24-bit card like X-Fi, but the most important thing is your speakers, if your speakers level is higher than the soundcard (in terms of quality and price), then upgrading to X-Fi is a good choice.
  3. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TechSpot Maniac Posts: 544

The X-Fi is a lot more than the $100 he wants to spend.
  4. rmdl51

rmdl51 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 368

Any Card from Creative Sound Blaster line is way much better that Realtek, I have the Creative Audigy 2ZS along with the Inspire 7700 speakers and they are great for gaming, I paid $100 each a couple of years ago but now should be cheaper, Last time I checked I saw the Audigy for $79.99, check on that one I highly recommend that card.
  5. Fred G

Fred G Newcomer, in training Posts: 98

you guys are are right, an X-FI card is the way to go. Its not true that all x-fi cards cost over a $100, i recomend getting the x-fi extreme gamer, it costs only $94 and can be found here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2687632&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

I'm considering this card for my new pc myself. I also recomend getting good speakers to go with that card, but i think inspire p7800 7.1 speakers will be better, but thats just my opinion. they cost about $80.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.