TechSpot

a i need hel with what video card i can support XD

By rando152
May 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, im in need of some help well i'll just jump to the problem I own: a 16mb ATI RAGE 128 Ultra : video card i know it sucks **** but i want to get a new one i dont know what kind of card my comp can support i dont know if this will help but i also own a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz processer. If you need more info to figure out what kind of card i can support id be happy to get more :D ty
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Hello and welcome to techspot!

Yes, we are going to need some more info from you. Is your system a "brand name" like dell or gateway? If so, then if you can give us your model number that will help.

If not, then download and install cpuZ : http://www.techspot.com/downloads/27-cpu-z.html

and tell us what it says for your mainboard information and graphics interface.
  3. rando152

rando152 TS Rookie Topic Starter

dgg

ah its a dell and i dont know where the modle number is srry :(
  4. DonNagual

There should be a sticker on the case somewhere. Look for ANY sticker on the case (on the back, sides, anywhere) and post the numbers it says.

Also, what games are you wanting to play?
  5. rando152

ok i found a product key do u need that? and i also found another numebr idk what it is its st the tip of the sticker its 0045-163-301-088
  6. DonNagual

Yes, let's try with a product key. That number you gave above didn't turn up any info.
  7. rando152

ghjg

r6ttt-vkb66-6x88x-ff629-6383y
  8. DonNagual

Are you sure on that sticker somewhere it doesn't say Dell dimension XXXX or something similar?
  9. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 1,058

If it is to hard, you can always go the cpuz route.
  10. rando152

0932ry ????
  11. DonNagual

12. rando152

dell;modle:eek:ptiplex gx240;chipset:i845;south bridge:82801ba(ich2)::::Grapphics interface:version:AGP version 2.0;Transfer rate:4x;max supported:4x;sideband:enabled
  13. DonNagual

Wow, I have to admit I am surprised. It's rare to see someone with a Dell who wants to upgrade and you actually have an AGP port! You are in some luck there friend!

The only potential problem is whether or not your PSU can handle the upgrade. Open up your case and look at your PSU. There will be a sticker attached to it. We need to know how many watts your PSU is.

Another important thing is, exactly what games are you hoping to be able to play? I don't want to get your hopes up too high here. You still have a fairly dated CPU, and I assume limited ram?
  14. rando152

ah well

ah do i HAVE to open my case or is there any other way and i want to be able to play guild wars and call of duty 2 i can already play guild wars but the graphics and the lag is crappy
  15. rando152

and my ram is 256mb
  16. DonNagual

17. rando152

i have a Small Form-Factor Computer
  18. DonNagual

To be honest, I don't think your PSU is upgradable. The small form factor is a very rare type of (dell only) PSU.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx240/en/sm/pwrsply.htm#1099156

Hold on and see if someone who knows more about this model than I do comes along and has some better advice, but mine is that you will not be able to get a much better graphics card (even though you have an AGP 4x slot) with your current 180w psu.
  19. rando152

ok

well ihave talked tomy dad and we talked about instead of just upgrading it and the comp is like 5 years old would u recomend i jsut get a new cheap comp cuz this things is pretty slow and its hard drive is only 40gb and i have 5 left. should i just get a new comp like for 400-500 bucks???
  20. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 1,058

You should upgrade you're ram to 1gb before you buy a new graphic card.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.