TechSpot

A lack of innovation would mean just 10% of iPhone owners likely to upgrade to the iPhone 7

By midian182
Jul 20, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. A number of images and videos purportedly showing Apple’s next iPhones have leaked recently, and they appear to show that the latest handsets look remarkably similar to the previous year’s models. This could spell bad news for Apple; according to a Quartz survey, should the iPhone 7 series show a lack of innovation, just under 10 percent of current US iPhone owners are extremely likely or very likely to buy one.

Of the 525 people interviewed, 25.2 percent of them said they would upgrade for a brand new design, but without a major overhaul, almost 46 percent said they wouldn’t at all be likely to upgrade to an iPhone 7.

Other than some upgraded internals, it seems the only design changes in the iPhone 7 are a flatter back camera (or possibly a dual-camera system on the rumored Pro version), the repositioning of the antenna bands, and the controversial removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Some reports suggest that Apple may not release its usual “S” model of the iPhone 7 next year, and will instead unveil an entirely redesigned iPhone 8 with some all-new features – one of the reasons why so many people are waiting until next year before splashing out the latest Apple handset.

The survey also asks owners how they would feel if Apple switched from its two-year iPhone refresh cycle to three years, a possibility first reported by Japanese newspaper Nikkei. It’s claimed that a slowing smartphone market and fewer new enhancements would be the reason for such a move. As you might imagine, 70 percent of those surveyed said they would be somewhat, very, or extremely likely to change their upgrade habits should this change actually happen.

Permalink to story.

2. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 658   +174

Oh please, we all know everyone and their mom will line up to buy two. Apple can literally put a shiny bow on a turd and people will buy it.

Reehahs, Uvindu, m4a4 and 3 others like this.
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,560   +862

Happily moving to android when my contract expires

SirChocula and Win7Dev like this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

C'mon man. Of all the iPhone owners surveyed, how many were actual 'dyed in the wool iSheep?' Apologies for that unremarkable pun there.

5. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 567   +174

This has been going on for years and it's finally now that people noticed.

6. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

Popularity and sex, guaranteed to always sell.

7. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 401   +208

Let it die.

The Apple premium upgrade cycle has been a complete joke that sane people are finally waking up to.
    For the others still koolaid stained ... to the benefit of everyone else, they've been painfully revealed.

SirChocula likes this.
  8. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

A lack of interesting & terrible clickbait would mean 10% of current Techspot viewers will disable adblock and click the next article, Seriously guys come on. Atleast be more scientific about this stuff rather than "The 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000009% of the population we surveyed confirmed the earth is flat and only 10% of iphone users would upgrade"

9. trparky

trparky TS Booster Posts: 156   +58

At least on the iPhone I get proper software updates as versus on Android you're lucky you get one update a year.

Silly user, software updates are for new devices only.

10. SirChocula

SirChocula TS Booster Posts: 75   +59

Proof of your claims?

11. trparky

Talk to any Samsung user. Go, I'll wait. More than likely they're still waiting for their Marshmallow update in the United States because their stupid as s**t carrier wants them to buy a new device instead.

12. trparky

Carrier: We don't want to release software updates, we want you to buy a new device instead. Go look, look... there's that new Galaxy S7 Edge over there. SHINY! SHINY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY! BUY!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  13. trparky

They want you to be forever on the upgrade treadmill. They don't want to release software updates, it's far more profitable for them to push new devices. Go ahead, walk into any Verizon or AT&T store and I'll guarantee you're going to be bombarded with advertisements as large as posters all pushing you to buy "The Next Big Thing." Every new device is big money for them, it practically prints the green stuff for them by the semi-truck full.

And they'll do it again in a couple of months when LG releases a new device as well.

"Oh, you have a Galaxy S7 Edge? That's old, buy the new LG G7."

Then a few months later they'll be pushing the new HTC11 (or whatever it's called).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  14. Carmaine

Carmaine TS Rookie Posts: 16

Are software updates that super important to you? Cause you've been responding.......and talking.......to yourself? LOL

15. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

I got 2 updates this year for my Samsung Galaxy Note 4...

16. trparky

Yes, they are important to me. Security vulnerabilities need to be patched post-haste. Do not pass Go, do not collect $100... they need to be patched as fast as humanly possible and that's something that Apple has shown time and time again that they are very good at that.

In the last year I've gotten not only iOS 9 but I've 9.0.1, 9.0.2, 9.1, 9.2, 9.2.1, 9.3, 9.3.1, 9.3.2, and 9.3.3. That's ten software updates to your two software updates that I've received in the last year. Again, Apple has shown that when it comes to software updates, they're far better than their Android OEM competitors.

And as for my additional posts, they are my additional thoughts on the matter. Android devices make huge tons of cash for your carrier. Every time you turn around either Samsung, LG, or HTC are releasing new devices which of course starts the marketing engine at your carrier of choice all over again. As as for Samsung, they release two devices a year namely the standard Galaxy device and the Note device.

"Buy the 'The Next Big Thing' today!"

This is economics folks, you can't argue economics and the fact that selling new devices nets them far more money than supporting older devices.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  17. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

Trparky, you surprise me with your posts!
    Apart from software updates, if you substitute every time you said Android with Apple, it would be more accurate!

18. trparky

How so?

19. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

Have you actually looks at the change lists for those versions? Most of it are fixes for things they messed up on and nothing major or even many security fixes at all. Fixing things they got wrong, fixing problems with being able to activate the phone, fixing stability on their own apps, that is what most of them do they are not useful (as in enough for you to rave over) updates and most software does all of that with less updates because they test more. Having more software version iterations does not mean they care more, in this case it looks like they just test less so need to update more.

Reehahs and Uvindu like this.
  20. trparky

21. lipe123

Dude seriously.. calm down.

If updates is your only issue your argument is weak as _____. You can root any android phone in minutes and install one of the MANY MANY custom builds that include the latest OS version and patches directly from Google.
    Does apple let you do that? - didn't think so.

22. trparky

More devices are coming with locked bootloaders especially if you buy a flagship phone from your carrier like most people do. Pick up any Samsung Galaxy or Note device that's sold in the US by your carrier and there's a 99% chance that it has a locked bootloader that will prevent you from loading a third-party ROM or even chain-load a third-party ROM as well.

23. trparky

Android devices that are being sold by the OEMs and carriers are getting to be just as locked down as any Apple device. The only difference is that Apple cares about releasing software and security updates whereas all the Android OEMs and carriers care about is making a quick buck on the next new device.

24. lipe123

@trparky listen dude you keep saying general things like "most of" and bla bla, here is an example of rooting a S6 http://gs6.wonderhowto.com/how-to/root-almost-any-galaxy-s6-s6-edge-without-tripping-knox-0161912/
    which is brand freaking new!
    Also have you heard of the nexus? did you know other manufacturers sell phones?
    Also, and this is a big one, did you know that some people don't live in the USA where the carriers control everything?
    ALSO ALSO did you know there are lots of companies that sell unlocked phones brand new that you can do whatever with?

Everything you say just yells "I'm an isheep and hate on everything else because I don't know anything about the other devices"

25. trparky

I live in the USA where everything is controlled by the carriers. Yes, I have heard of the Nexus device and even used a Nexus device in the past but the vast majority of people in the USA don't buy Nexus devices; they instead buy whatever device that their carrier is peddling that day.

I spent four years in the Android world and recently switched to the iPhone (about two years ago). Four years of "no software updates" hell. Four years of buggy software that barely saw any updates and even when it did get an update to fix issues, a barge load of new bugs came with it. Oh yay!

I know all about Android, I spent four years of my life in that hellhole. Never again.