TechSpot

A Linux user's story

By Mictlantecuhtli
May 8, 2002
  1. It began with a simple adduser command. I was just starting to create Linux from Scratch and I followed its installation instructions.
    Weeks passed, I reinstalled two Linuxes several times and found myself creating another user, a common user, in addition to no-compromises, no-limits, not-all-knowing root to Red Hat Linux as well.
    Somehow, I've been converted. I no longer feel limited. It required a bit of editing so that I could write to certain partitions, could mount filesystems and so on, but maybe it was worth it. It didn't take too long, either. Reading some html & man pages, making necessary changes, tweaking with Linuxconf, that was all.
    I even know how to use su command now.
    When I had created my own Linux, I decided I want a Graphical User Interface. So, I installed XFree86 4.2.0. But something was clearly missing. Aha, I realized, a proper Window Manager!
    Using a broadband connection (not at home) I downloaded Gnome 1.4 and 2.0 beta sources. Hours passed by, I was still fighting against missing libraries and errors in .c and .h files. Finally, I read Phantasm66's post about KDE3. So far I had always chosen Gnome if I had that option. But this time I thought I'd give it a try. So I downloaded KDE3 sources as well. With a simple ./configure and make commands I installed KDE3. Everything went smooth, not a single error occurred.
    Now I've chosen to use KDE even in Red Hat (root's Window Manager is still Gnome, though, but I haven't logged in as root for a long time). I like this. I've read about KDE being slow, but I don't remember reading about other problems with it. I won't say this is slow. Maybe it's just because I'm using a fast computer. Things fade in & out, fonts are antialiased, windows animate. Still I won't say this is slow.
    Negative sides? Tooltips, when enabled, sometimes get stuck, won't disappear. Other than that? Hmm.. Maybe Gnome's panel is a bit more flexible, but KDE's panel does its job. I can add buttons, applets and extensions to it. Overall, I can change virtually everything in Window Manager appearance.
    Now, this fundamental Gnome-using root has changed to KDE-using common user. It's unlikely I'll change back but never say never..

2. recoombe

recoombe TS Rookie

if i had the luxury of broadband (and patience) i would try it, but i'm lazy and i'm not downloading gnome/kde on 56k (hell i'm hunting for a linux compatible modem as i type).

if it wasn't for me being a gameaholic i'd be completely over to linux also. i do have some games i could try and get to work in linux (quake-engine games on geforce 3) but as of now i'm not motivated enough to fool with mesa and xfree (last time i did for a week i was reinstalling more than i was "tweaking") for the moment. maybe if i get a second system...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.