A little different than overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this Acer Aspire m7720 about 7 months ago.
It was working completely fine until yesterday.

I left it turned on and I went to take a nap. When I woke up, I turned on some music for a while and turned the music off in less than 5 mins, then I left for TV.

While I was watching TV, I heard weird noises. I didn't bother about it. Then about 5 mins later I still kept hearing the noises then I went to check it out, it was the sound of my CPU turning on and off.

I dont know what wrong with it, I went into BIOS and checked the temperature and it was about 30 Degrees.

If I let the computer rest for a while after it turned off, it could reach Desktop before it dies again. After it dies it would turn on and off again.
The time where it turns on and off, the furthest it could reach was the page where it lets you press Del to go into BIOS and it would restart again.

Processor: i7 920
RAM: 6GB

Could it be my hard disk was spoilt or something?
Thanks in advance :)

The system is still in warranty so I'd advise you to send it back to ACER, so avoid fiddling around with it; and otherwise you may end up accidently doing something which may void the warranty.

Thats a laptop yeh? can't do much about laptops overheating, other than cleaning out heatsinks.

But this definitely don't sound like an overheating problem.

It's sad to say that I already voided the warranty as I threw away the package box without knowing that the serial number on it were very important

It's a desktop by the way, I'll try to go into BIOS later for as long as possible to see if it was virus or overheating problem

Windows XP and higher will automatically reboot a machine if a BSOD is encountered rather than just sit pretty with the BSOD displayed waiting for the user to reboot.

If it's a BSOD, you can probably boot into safe-mode and check the logs for information on the problem (Press F8 during startup).

Once in safe-mode, Start->Control Panel : Performance and Maintenance->Administrative Tools->Computer Management. You're looking for Event Viewer

To disable BSOD reboot, if it is a BSOD, Start->Control Panel ->System : Advanced->Startup and Recovery->Settings : System Failure->un-check "Automatically restart"

Well, you don't get 'weird noises' with BSOD's mwpow, beside the machine is in warranty; and i suspect it something related to hardware; so best possible solution is to let the ACER support do its job. I always advise every one who come for help to me to do this; usually (if it turns out be hardware issue) they do end up getting new shiny replacements ;)

Well, you don't get 'weird noises' with BSOD's mwpow, beside the machine is in warranty; and i suspect it something related to hardware; so best possible solution is to let the ACER support do its job. I always advise every one who come for help to me to do this; usually (if it turns out be hardware issue) they do end up getting new shiny replacements ;)

Yeah, I don't know what he means by weird noises. I assumed it was the constant PC speaker beep on POST or something.

For sure, if it's under warranty it needs to be taken back and looked at...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back