A little help? New hd, dump on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is my second post on this forum and I'm sure I missed at least one READ THIS FIRST YOU NOOBS! thread, but time's kind of a factor on this one.

anyway, the specs:

- asus p5ld2 mobo
- 3.2gHz celeron d proc
- 2gb ddr2
- evga 8600gt gpu
- 320gb western digital sata hd
- 500gb western digital sata hd
- xp pro, current on updates as of two days ago

so here's my situation. I previously had the 320gb sata drive as my system drive and a 250gb western digital ide drive as my media drive. I found a good deal on the 500gb sata drive and decided to swap it out for the 250gb ide but make it my system drive and make the 320 my media drive. I copied all the media (there were no system files or program files) from the 250 to the 320, pulled it, put in the 500, fired the system up, everything checked out okay. got both sata drives in full ide emulation mode because apparently asus is mildly retarded or so I'm told. used paragon hd manager suite to clone the 320 to the 500 in boot-time to make sure I got the boot sector and registry and all the important windows stuff copied over.

at that point, everything told me that the contents of the 500 and the 320 were completely identical, so I rebooted and tried booting from the 500. windows launched, and everything seemed fine at the moment, so I went ahead and wiped the 320 via paragon and rebooted from ubcd4win so I could use DISKPART to switch the drive letters around. bad idea. from that point windows would not load all the way with the 500 set as the primary boot hd. it'd get to the first part of the welcome screen where the windows logo is there, but wouldn't advance any farther. no text, no login screen. I attempted to reboot into recovery console using the ubcd4win but got a bluescreen upon loading (0x07b (0xf78d2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00, 0x00)). same thing when I tried to reboot into recovery using my xp disc.

I can boot from ubcd4win into its little substitute shell thingy but again, windows won't get to the login screen when I boot from the 500. no luck on recovery console. I installed a fresh copy of xp on the blank 320 and that boots but of course in 640x480 with none of my drivers or programs. I've tried just about everything I can think of to do at this point and I'm striking out. at this point my order of boot devices is cd1 (dvd drive with ubcd4win) > floppy > 320gb hd > cd2 (cdrw with xp disc). again, my 500gb sata drive should be completely identical to the 320 which had my working copy of windows on it. at the very least I have one partition where windows is booting properly (fresh install on the 320), and yet that doesn't help me. any suggestions at this point would be more than welcome.

Keep Title Short

Both your Title (Or titles in two threads!) are way too long
And your info above is also a bit difficult to follow

It might be best to keep any further posts, just to minimum, and ideally point form.
I have a working Windows xp Pro on this Hdd
When I insert this other hdd I get.... using UBCD
I have tried....

By the way where is the XP Professional CD in all this? :confused:

The info below, may help you image the drives (which might help)

Norton Ghost (I use this one)
Acronis True Image (most users like this one, images and backup incrementally)
Acronis Migrate Easy (Just disk clone - quite good!)
Drive Image (Basically an alternative)
DriveImage XML (This one is free!)
MaxBlast (I haven't used this, but it's free)

Imaging: Backs up your entire system, including Windows and data, plus your partition as well. The image can be stored on removable media, such as DVD. And usually takes under an hour (depending on size of image) to fully recover from a blank HardDrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back