A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm having problems similar to an earlier post. I tried to install Memory (prior to reading Tedsters post), and now my computer screen stays in standby mode.

I put the thing together myself (with a little help) so i'm not totally oblivious to how things should work, but I cannot for the life of me work out why the damn thing won't work (other than it's buggered).

The motherboard is receiving power, as is the gfx card, etc. I have taken all memory out and booted (no beeps), I have reset CMOS via CLRTR? jumpers with battery removed.

Am I just in denial of the fact that it is knackered or is there something else I should be trying?

System:
PSU 400w (I know before you say).
AMD 4000+ 64bit
gf6800 ultra
Asus A8N SLI PCI-e
1gb mem (should be 2 if not for human error).
1 x Chump at the wheel.

Thanks

uh ya man that 400w is not going to cut it. I have a 3200+ and was in need of a 500w. I also am running sli board

many newer systems use more than one PSU - especially if they use high end graphics cards.

500w is the way forward then..

One of you super users mentioned an 850w. Is this just over kill,?

And I think 2 psu's would require a new case etc..which would be a ball ache. But thanks for the info anyway, always an option..

Thanks..

Here is one way you can use two PSUs in an ordinary case, as long as you have an empty 5.25" bay. Click here. A novel idea isn't it? Although I'm not high on Thermaltake power supplies in general, this one is certified by NVidia for SLI use.

Are you guys serious ? 500w isn't even necessary for such a system. 400w (provided it's from a good reputable brand with proper power on each rail) should be more then enough. The board is an SLI version but unless you load up two top-of-the-line (aka power hungry) cards on it, you won't need anything above 400w.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back