A little lost here, could use some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuegt

I've got a Dell desktop Optiplex Gx270, running xp. Everything was working fine as far as booting up logging in and browsing the internet, but for some reason it won't let me download, or make any changes. It just says i do not have permission. I went into set up and it say Admin Password Disabled. I'm not really that good with the bios and really don't know what i'm looking at, but i was wondering if any of u could give me some suggestion as to how to find out what's wrong with it. I was thinking about refromatting the whole thing, reinstalling the OS, but i'd rather come here 1st. Thanks in advance if u can help me on this issue.

Its not the bios thats stopping you, its windows security.
You need to click on your start button, then settings, then control panel, then user accounts. You should be able to click on your account and change the settings.

Thanks Rik

I did as u instructed and took my password off, i think your right. I think there's and Admin password on it that i wouldn't know. Is there some way around it? It told me to log off and log back on as an Admin.

That means you don't have admin rights. You could try putting you password back on then reboot and when you get to the screen where you click on your account and put your password in, press ctrl+alt+delete twice quickly. The easiest way to do it is to hold ctrl and alt then press the delete twice. You should be able to access the admin account, try it without a password first, if that doesn't work then you may need to get the password from whoever installed windows on your pc.

I'll try what u just mentioned again, but i won't be able to know who put it on here, as this computer was a brought from a stranger.

well, if that's the case... i would tell you to redo your windows and start fresh... if not... i would tell you to start a new windows installation... all your saved work will be there still... but, you'd have to reinstall the programs... that should allow you to have the "rights" you need to do whatever you want ..

yeah, that's what i was comtemplating before i came here. I think i'll just do the install thing again. Hey thanks for your help again tho.

Start the computer in safe mode, and you should see a new user name "admin", log in and remove the other persons password, or delete their account, and then make yourself the computer administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back