A mobo that automatically overclocks? or just a faulty Temp Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

drfefe2

So i just Put together a brand new computer with a Core 2 Duo E6400 and an Asus P5B-E Mobo. I turned it on for the first time and went into the Bios to monitor temperature. There I discovered the cpu temp was 85 degrees C. All fans are running correctly and the heatsink/fan was installed correctly. I turned the computer off as soon as possible to ponder this problem. I came accros this article in my research... http://www.techimo.com/forum/t178019.html

basically it says that the Mobo was reading the temp on the cpu wrong.

I went back and turned on my computer for about 1 Minute untill the temp hit 80c. then I touched my heatsink and it felt about room temperature maybe a little cooler.

So my question is: Could this board have a screwy temperature gauge, Or is my Mobo overclocking my cpu right outta the box?

Thanks for any help you can contribute.

Well, that thread did say that the mobo has temp sensor problems.

btw, I don't think its possible to get your heatsink to below room temp :D. It is just physically impossible. The reason why it feels that way is because metal is a much better heat conductor than air, and therefore is conducting away your body heat faster than the air around you, thus feeling colder.

Just a little info for you :D

Core2Duos have a max operating temp of 66C or something like that, the last time I checked. In fact, no Intel chips for PC have a max operating temp of over 70C (maybe a couple) the last time I checked, so if its registering 85C, your CPU is ready to explode or your mobo sensor is stuffed up.

I'm betting your mobo sensor is stuffed up.

If you're still worried, time to get an aftermarket CPU heatink+fan. Then you might be able to do some overclocks as well :D

Hey thanks for that info. Once I get my operating system installed, can I use another program to get a second opinion on the temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back