A new and improved Silk Road returns to the Deep Web

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It took the FBI and the Department of Justice two and a half years to shut down the Deep Web drug market known as the Silk Road and while they might have arrested the alleged mastermind and several vendors and users, the spirit of the service seemingly can’t be taken away.

A reborn Silk Road came online early Wednesday morning with the promise of being bigger and better than the original. According to All Things Vice, administrators first worked on rebuilding the community. To curb trolls and spammers, an invite-only system was implemented where users could only join the forum via an invite from an existing member.

fbi silk road deep web silk road 2.0 drug marketplace

The new Silk Road already has more than 600 listings and features improved security features like the use of PGP encryption keys. There’s even a new login page complete with a parody of the FBI / DOJ shutdown notice. Otherwise the site is said to be pretty much an exact copy of the previous offering with many of the same vendors returning to do business over the Internet once again.

Given the shutdown of the original site and several others like it over the past couple of months, one would be wise to proceed with caution. Is the new service legit or is it little more than a honeypot set up by the FBI to nab more users? Moreover, the new Silk Road could just as easily be a clever scam designed to milk Bitcoins from wishful customers. What says you?

Permalink to story.

I say it is legit I mean come on they cant make a better version just to scam people out of a few measly bitcoins :/ They are in here for the longhoul!

Hmm St1ckm4n in play here -_- though it seems hes taken a green approach in attempt to hide his identity but I am not fool XD...
255057.jpg

What say I? I say, who cares (outside of druggies and law enforcement, of course)?

I don't really care either... I would expect Silk Road, in it's prime, was only a tiny fraction of illegal drug sales in the US. I'm not entirely against it either... do I care if people can buy heroin and coke on there, of course, but do I care if someone with chronic back pain an no insurance is getting hydrocodone? nope. Or the 28 yr old amateur body builder who wants some testosterone?
I'd like to know what really goes through their site.

I quit drugs years ago, however I have nothing against them, I just prefer a clear mind. I definitely think they should be decriminalized, allow alcohol but imprisoning people for other drugs? Instead of burning money with "the war on drugs," offer assistance to those who want it. Portugal did it and look how well it has turned out. Save money, less addicts, severely decrease causalities and related crimes.

Too many closed minded people in power.

I quit drugs years ago, however I have nothing against them, I just prefer a clear mind. I definitely think they should be decriminalized, allow alcohol but imprisoning people for other drugs? Instead of burning money with "the war on drugs," offer assistance to those who want it. Portugal did it and look how well it has turned out. Save money, less addicts, severely decrease causalities and related crimes.

Too many closed minded people in power.
Preach.....

Back