TechSpot

A new CPU, which one?

By Marty9231
Mar 18, 2009
  1. Hi everybody, I recently posted something similar to this but I'm still confused.
    I'm planning on upgrading my pc with a new CPU (maybe the mobo, it depends), and maybe a new graphics card.

For the CPU part I was recommended two processors. One is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache.
    And the other was the Intel Core 2 Duo processor E7500 @2.93 Ghz and 3M cache.
    I recently bought GTA IV, and I can't realy run it now. So I want to make GTA IV my guideline. My question is: Which one is best? And if I bought an Intel one, I would need to upgrade my mobo, because I have an AMD mobo now (M2A-VM). Would this one do the trick?

Ok, now for the graphics card part. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm even going to upgrade this one, it depends on what I need for GTA IV and future games.
    But if I was going to upgrade, this was a recommendation I got this one. If I should upgrade, would this be a good choice? If not, are there any better quality Graphics Cards for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the bad english ;)

Marty

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

Go for the Intel CPU and this motherboard, unless you are buying the P5KPL-VM from somewhere other than Newegg.

The HD 4670 is a great card for any resolution upto 1440x900. Beyond that, the HD 4830 is what you should aim for. But anything above an HD 4670 will require a good PSU to run.

How much is your total budget? I can link you to specific parts if you want.

3. Marty9231

Marty9231 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 141

Ok, so the Intel cpu should be fine with GTA IV? And yes, I'm buying somewhere else than newegg, so is the P5KPL-VM ok?

About the Video card, the HD4670 is about $120ish right? And I have a 22" widescreen, so It would be able to handle it right? And about the PSU, where can I find my current supply?

The budget would be around $350 / $400..

Another small question: I'm able to play GTA IV, only I have terrible lag, and slowmotion like gamplay, is this caused by my graphicscard (8500GT) or cpu (Athlon 64 X2 4000+ @2.1 Ghz)?

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

The ASUS board will do. It is practically identical to the Gigabyte board I linked you to.

The HD 4670 is <$100, and can be had for $70-ish with a rebate. But for a 22 inch monitor, I would highly recommend the HD 4850. It is about $100 more than the HD 4670 but delivers fantastic performance. However, you will need a new PSU for it, unlike the HD 4670.

Regarding the PSU, you can find it at the top of your case, towards the back. There is usually a sticker there that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Post all the info on the sticker.

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,310   +1,710

An 8500GT is really only a good choice for basic dual monitors, or for driving a high-def TV (Since I think they all have HDCP). I Have one, love it, but Scrabble's my game. A reasonable expectation of good gaming performance would be gotten starting at the 9600GT. (At least with Nvidia's products).

6. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,115   +9

listen to rage and i would def go intel for gaming. the 8500 is not a gaming card at all and the cpu you have is also kinda on the weak side.

7. Marty9231

Marty9231 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 141

Hi all, sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days.
    And I've got everything sorted out. Thanks for all the help!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.