TechSpot

A posible way to keep a computer from overheating

By Rockfan1815
Apr 20, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I found this on a electronic kits site and thought it might be a good way to cool down a computer thats running hot.

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/peltier/ck500.htm

It seems like it would be perfect to mount in a computer, just hook it up to the powersuppy or an outside source. And to keep it from making the computer a freezer, you can probably put a voltage regulator(something like that) and turn the power down so it don't blow to much cold air. The only thing Iam not sure of is even though it don't use water, it might produce moister. I might buy one and try it out in a junk computer before i mount it in my good one.. Also this would be a good way to cool yourself down.

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

what processor and how fast is it, what motherboard, what case. all 3 have to be compliant to allow installation fo said part. you may even get other problems as well. that peliter you linked doesn't have the capacity to cool most current cpus on the market.

3. Rockfan1815

Rockfan1815 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 59

I'm not saying to use it to mount on the cpu, I'm just saying to use it a case fan. It was just a thought.

4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

as a case fan it would be a big waste. a 3 pin case fan costs like $5 (USD) and will turn out better.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.