A problen has been detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillAllen55

I'm in the process of installing my XP home edition windows on my new build. (Specs are found in Profile) When I get to the part that windows begins the installation all goes well until I get to the part it asks for the F6 Sata Raid drivers. I click on the F6 function key, it reads the floppy disk then comes the choices of drivers which I have no idea which to pick.
Once I've chosen which driver seems to be correct. ICH10R? I then proceed. When the install starts I then receive the message reading 'A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.'
I'm learning this may have something to do with the Service Packs. I'm understanding this may be resolved by 'slip streaming' (sounds like something I might do while fishing"
Can someone please give me an idea how slip streaming is done? I've tried using Nlite
to slip stream the SP-2 with my Windows XP home, putting it together and burning to a CD trying that and it would not attempt a windows install. Can someone please give specific info as to how to resolve this situation.
Thanks in advance.

You need the SATA drivers from the website of the hard drive maker if you do not have the install disk.
You will find lots of references to Slipstreaming with a Gurgle search, but it is not for the newbie or the faint of heart. There is a long amount of learning time involved... and a number of mistakes are part of the process.

a Black Cavier without install disks

What amazes me is that the amount of money one pays these days for hardware and
Western Digital does not bother to include install disks.

I'm currently downloading the 'lifegaurd tools' cd from WD.
Hopefully that should provide necessary drivers.
So when you say the hard drive website should provide SATA drivers how am I to be able to figure which driver is needed?
I don't know if I'm asking the correct questions.

Western Digital supplies install disks with their boxed, commercial units. If you do not have one with the disc, you have an OEM unit with reduced price and reduced warranty.
Everything you need is at the Western Digital website.

the lifeguard tools are designed to run diagnostics and customize partitions mainly i dont think you will

find the drivers there. Sata and Eide are general terms for a driver the computer will recognize the hdd

with and are not particular to any manufacturer although the hdd manufacturer should be able to

provide the ones specific to your hdd. You stated when you get to the part where you choose to install

the drivers you are utilizing a flopp disk? is this where youve stored the drivers? please give more

details and I will try to be of more help hdd model things such as that and here is the link to the dos

version of the cd you will more than ikely need to install this on pc without os support yet......

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=609&sid=53&lang=en

let me know if this helps

those are not the diagnostic tools they are the install tools btw XD

and correction yes there re two sets of tools the diagnostic and the installation I had WD 3200 prety big hard drive crapped out in a couple months didnt bother to send it back :\ eventhough i should have as it was still under warranty

When I go through the install attempt of XP home it asks for the specific drivers needed for the SATA drive. When it does not find the needed driver on the a drive it reports that it has not been able to find a driver named txtsetup. ??? not sure where I would find such a driver. Thanks for your reply you are far more specific than others I've encountered on here. If I needed someone to tell me to search the websites I wouldn't be asking these questions. Kinda hard to know 'where' to search when it is not clear what it is specifically I'm looking for.
Will be on tomorrow AM got to go to work to keep the lights on

I will try to help you as best i can but give the model number of your exact hard drive as the

one linked up there is for an EIDE not SATA which is what you require so whenever you get a

chance post the info up and ill link ya :)

Exact Model # for Caviar Western Digital HD

This is the model number for my HD Model: WD6401AALS

This came directly from the Western Digital webpage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Makes a great night light when having to get up in the night. Doesn't seem to be much good for anything else. :wave:

I'm working towards initiating a slip streamed copy of the Home Edition XP with SP three included. Kinda running out of ideas here.
Thanks

If you need to recover the DATA
We find it useful to buy an external USB enclosure, such as the Vantac Nextstar 3 with its own power supply so it doesn't have to run off USB power.
Then see if you can search the drive and save data by drag and drop or copy.
Oftentimes, the problem is only in the first eight sectors of the hard drive. The magnetic material bubbles up, then the bubbles break apart and the magnetic material flakes off, and is thrown off the platter by centrifugal force...
But the rest of the drive can be read and saved.
Then, if less than a year old, send the drive back to Western Digital for a replacement. They can tell from the date code and other information on the label.

yikes

Thanks for your response.

To clarify, I'm attempting to install a copy of Windows XP first install on new build.
The HD has never had an operating system installed and with the HD being just shipped to me I'm doubting I'm already having disk issues.
The problem I'm having is that when attempting to install Windows XP I get a message stating that a problem has occurred the installation has been stalled to protect computer hardware. I also have some type of file listing as part of the error message which is:
pci.sys.

Thanks for your respose!

What have SATA drivers got to do with the HDD, I thought they were specific to the motherboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back