A program I'm trying to install into Windows 98 never makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I know so little about computers, I thought I would take my questions to everyone at TechSpot OpenBoards for help.

I have two computer: a Windows 98 and a Windows XP (home edition). My parents would like to transfer memory/programs onto the XP.

Thus, I am trying to install Intellimover, Transfer Your PC Deluxe onto my 98 but I have a suspicion that its tower is incapable of reading CDs, making installation costly if it needs replaced. Additionally, the CD drive does not even open. This appears to be the first problem.

In fact, this computer can't do much anthing else. it seems as if it can't read its hard drive, connect to the internet, or work a while without crashing.

The most important question is: Is it impossible to install Intellimover or not?

I will be on this site all day, so I will attempt to work with all of you. Please respond.

There is ample information at the Detto Technologies site and the Intellimover location. You can find both with a Google search.

Intellimover is easily installed and transfers working files, but not systems, from a large number of programs.

Look for scratches on your disc... and be sure all your other drives work properly.

Hold up a sec

masterzam said:
Additionally, the CD drive does not even open.

Because of this, I can't get CD's to be read by the computer. Does it need replaced or something? That is my real question.

But nevertheless, thank you for responding to my post and I will check into the sites.

You can't take the programs installed on 98 and just transfer them to XP, they'd need to be reinstalled. Documents on the other hand can be moved.

If the 98 box is in that bad of shape you are probably better off running that computer and moving all of the documents you want saved off of it to a specific folder on the hard drive. Then shut down, remove the hard drive, and install it into the XP computer (paying attention to jumper settings). Then boot up the XP computer and get the files off of that hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back