A Question about RAM?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIM_Valo

My motherboard is Abit Fatal1ty AN8-SLI and it says "DDR standard DDR400(PC3200)." Does that mean that I can't go over that? like to say DDR550 or something.

Also do you get Dual Channel if i have x4 512 sticks? i wasnt sure so i went with x2 1GB sticks instead but i was just wondering, cause it says stick the RAM in the same colored DIMMs for Dual Channel. So if you put RAM in all of them is it dual channel as well?

Thxs. :D

In all likelyhood, you could put any DDR RAM into your PC and it will run at the lowest common denominator, in other words, if you put DDR 333 in your PC it'll run at 333, if you put in DDR 400, it'll run at 400, if you put in DDR 533, it'll run at 400. You can overclock your system or manually specify what settings your RAM speed should be, however this may introduce instability in your system.

In order for Dual Channel memory access to occur. You need identical chips in the corresponding banks. For example, on your board I believe the RAM banks are 2 different colors, orange and black. If you want dual channel functionality, the orange banks need the same model RAM and the Black Banks need the same model RAM, however the Orange banks don't need to be the same as the black banks.

So basically, just make sure your 2 sticks are in the same color banks and you'll be running Dual Channel.

Okay so therefore i would have been fine with the x4 512mb sticks, they were those 1GB packages i was just gonna order 2, so they would all be the same. I just understood that you could only have Dual Channel with only 2 sticks.

Thxs PanicX. :stickout:

yea, you'd be fine with ordering the 512's, however you won't be able to upgrade later without removing a pair of 512's, should you ever need more than 2GB of RAM.(doubtful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back