A question about Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Guy

Does it matter whether you turn it off or not? Because I had to replace mine once already and the one I have now seems to be crapping out too. It's still a month under the extended warranty, but I just want to know whether it helps to turn it off when no one's using the internet.

The routers you and I find at major electronics stores are crap. They are made like crap and they work like crap... and crap doesn't have a very good reputation.

It shouldn't help turning it off, but as with anything - the less you run it - the longer it lasts. But should this be the issue? No. Routers are designed to stay on all the time and that's the way it should be. 24x7 routing for everyone!

Unfortunately, MTBF is determined by the amount Linksys, D-Link (and the like...) pay their Chinese workers in those horrid little sweatshops. These companies don't care whether their crap works or not... And they think you don't either.

My linksys wrt54g (v3) had all sorts of problems initially (well for over a year, but another one came up so I called them) and those initial problems involved it dropping port fowarding, and really just raping my upload and download speeds. Turning off the modem for a while (10seconds) and then back on seemed to fix the speed problems. Then I'd have to go change the fowarded ports to make that work again (the ports actually had to be changed on the router, and then obviously in the program using that port) before it would work again.

I upgraded the firmware and that seemed to fix the problem...

So you could try both of my suggestions, turning it off for a bit then back on, and also checking the firmware.

I tend to turn my one off at night. I don't like leaving it on when nobody's gonna use it. I dunno if this will make it last longer or not, but routers are designed to stay on 24/7, a bit like servers.

hum; my Netgear RP614 has been reliable from day-1. I did upgrade the
firmware when it was installed.

Blank Crap

I just say the "blank" to the crap and build my own using a PII 333MHz L2Cache 512KB, Digital Workstation with 512MB of RAM an 6GB HD. Installed IPCOP and two 3Com NIC PCI. Attached to DSL Modem WAN (RED) and Linksys 5-port Switch for LAN (Green). Use SNORT for Intrustion Detection an etc.. I find it faster than my old LINKSYS Router V3, which gave out on me the other day only lasted 1 year before the DHCP Server failed. LINKSYS Router V2 lasted 3 years before it fired. Both were on 24/7

So IPCOP works it's not perfect in some areas but it's not crapy like the plastic ones in the store. As for wireless I did get BELKIN 54G 2.4Ghz WAP or AP Access Point that works great and it's on 24/7. I found the 5 and 8-port switches from LINKSYS are very good. Just the Routers are bad. BELKIN makes a cheap $39 dollar Wireless Router, that can be use as AP/Bridge which that's all I can use it for. Forget about using as a Router it can't handle the DNS Server which it fails. So using it a repeater for my wireless it works great for that purpose. Like those areas of week wireless it makes it go from very good to excellent signal.

I also use GBPVR for network streaming of IPTV audio, video and recording of such video. IPCOP has done a nice job there, better than with the LINKSYS router did. Nothing but trouble.

Oh alright, thanks everyone. I mainly just wanted to know if it helps to turn it off at night. But if it's designed to work 24/7, screw it. LOL. My siblings and I sometimes on during night so I rather have it going.
I just called in the warranty RMA thing, they said I'm good to go so I'll just exchange for a new one to be on the safe side =).

tipstir said:
I just say the "blank" to the crap and build my own using a PII 333MHz L2Cache 512KB, Digital Workstation with 512MB of RAM an 6GB HD. Installed IPCOP and two 3Com NIC PCI. Attached to DSL Modem WAN (RED) and Linksys 5-port Switch for LAN (Green). Use SNORT for Intrustion Detection an etc.. I find it faster than my old LINKSYS Router V3, which gave out on me the other day only lasted 1 year before the DHCP Server failed. LINKSYS Router V2 lasted 3 years before it fired. Both were on 24/7

So IPCOP works it's not perfect in some areas but it's not crapy like the plastic ones in the store. As for wireless I did get BELKIN 54G 2.4Ghz WAP or AP Access Point that works great and it's on 24/7. I found the 5 and 8-port switches from LINKSYS are very good. Just the Routers are bad. BELKIN makes a cheap $39 dollar Wireless Router, that can be use as AP/Bridge which that's all I can use it for. Forget about using as a Router it can't handle the DNS Server which it fails. So using it a repeater for my wireless it works great for that purpose. Like those areas of week wireless it makes it go from very good to excellent signal.

I also use GBPVR for network streaming of IPTV audio, video and recording of such video. IPCOP has done a nice job there, better than with the LINKSYS router did. Nothing but trouble.

Smart fellow!

I use a little 800Mhz VIA C3 (don't laugh!) box as my router. Runs wonderfully and it also doubles as my file server with two 500GB SATA drives. :)

I use my countless old routers from Linksys, Netgear, D-link and Belkin as step stools, props for heavy items and a reminder for others of what crap they are. But feel free to use yours as you please. :)

Does anyone know about a recall on Linksys BEFSR81s?
That's what they told me on the phone at London Drugs so I gotta keep using this defective piece of junk until they have new ones. But I see the BEFSR81 in stock in plenty of other stores.

jobeard said:
googling 'product recall BEFSR81' does not show up<?>:suspiciou

Don't think so, I tried "Linksys BEFSR81 recall" earlier but didn't find anything about it.
Did you find something with "Product recall BEFSR81"?
I'll give that a try for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back