A question of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

Not certain whether this is the correct section to post in, so apologies if it aint!

OK, a likely *****ic question.

I am about to buy 512Mb of DDR400 PC3200 (x 2 sticks of, ie a gig). The question is this: there is an option of buying Elixir (description:
Module Size: 512MB
Package: 184-pin DIMM
Feature: SDRAM, DDR 400
Configuration: 64Meg x 64
DIMM Type: Unbuffered
Error Checking: Non-Parity
Voltage: 2.5V)

or Kingston (description:
KVR400X64C3A/512
512MB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL3 (3-3-3) DIMM
Standard 64M X 64 Non-ECC 400MHz 184-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR, 2.6V, CL3, Gold)

Both around the same price: £24 ($US 48, I think) and both types brand new.

I wondered whether you chaps have any preferences, or whether there is no difference at all?

Thanks for any help!

don't know much about Elixr brand, so I cant say whether it's good or not...

Kingston on the other hand is a very reputible brand

Thanks mate!

I have heard Elixir mentioned quite a lot when it came to reputable RAM, but I think this must be like bargain basement stuff. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know whether there is any difference.

I guess I will go for the Kingston, coz as you say, it is a reputable brand.

ya i would go with kingston as well, never heard of elixir.

some good ram companies are:

corsair
mushkin
patriot
g.skill

speaking of ram, how would you clean your ram?

0009 said:
speaking of ram, how would you clean your ram?
if you really feel that your RAM requires cleaning (and by cleaning i mean dusting, i wouldn't recommend any liquid cleaners), just use compressed air to blow the dust away from it.

I would also go with kingston, have used kingston in all my RAM upgrades, and never had any problems with it. Elixir on the oher hand, does not get very good reviews from what i have read about them.

kingston: inexpensive, free tech support, lifetime warranty
Elixir: ?????????????

elixir is an el cheapo low end brand.
you get what you pay for.

I cannot recommend Kingston value select as I have had memory burned out in 8 months. (I run my system 24/7)
Neither can I recommend crucial value select for the same reason....

You get what you pay for. spend a litte more and it will last longer and have better specs.

Tedster said:
I cannot recommend Kingston value select as I have had memory burned out in 8 months. (I run my system 24/7)
Neither can I recommend crucial value select for the same reason...
I have no experience with either of those brands, but I have always heard that they are good quality reguardless of the series (i.e. value)

I also run my system 24/7, and I have been using the same Cosair Value Select 512MB RAM sticks for about 2 & 1/2 years now, and they have always been overclocked too.

I thought that the value series RAM sticks were good quality and reliable, but couldn't operate stabily at tight timings (which is the tradeoff for the lower prices) am I wrong?

Well, since I don't exactly hammer my pc, it shouldn't burn out ram, so perhaps I should forget the Elixir, and go for either the Kingston, or have a look see at prices on Corsair value.

Thanks very much to all of you for your help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back