Mar 13, 2007
  1. Hey guys i have a quick question.
    My computer specs are as follows.

Mobo:a8n32 Sli Deluxe Mobo
    Ram:2 Gig pc3200
    gfx:Nvidia7950
    Hd:Rapter 7200 250Gig Sata
    proc. Amd Athlon 64 fx-57

Ok for some reason when I play things on JAVA or do anything of that sort like encode a movie. MY cpu % goes very high near 100%. I remmember i used to have a P4 pc with 1 gig of ram and it used to rune Runescape at 33% CPU. Well i was wondering is it my CPU that sucks or is it sofware related.
    Oh yah when i play Counter-Strike or any OpenGL games my cpu% seems to be fine.

2. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

I'd be surprised if encoding a movie doesn't utilize close to 100% of the cpu.

You gotta compare apples to apples, run the same things, and if cpu utilization is still higher on your newer rig, then there might be something a little off...

3. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,266   +42

I think its utilization, might just be the program. If more problems persist look into better ram or cpu overclocking

4. CMH

Zzz... If he wanted to overclock, it would have been done ages ago. Nobody buys FX chips for the heck of it. Unless it was secondhand or something....

Better RAM/CPU overclocking wouldn't solve anything, if it had something to do with the JAVA program itself.

5. LinkedKube

that's true, I dont work java much, no need here, from what i read some java scripts can pull your pc down to hell

6. KillaFx

KillaFx TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 36

wow guys thanks for the quick post! yup CMH apples to apples my newer rig which is supposably better does way worse. Do you guys think its a software issue?

7. LinkedKube

We're concluding that its software, and not hardware, yes you have it right, you shouldnt worry much at all

8. CMH

I'm assuming you're running runescape on your FX57.

Might be JAVA requiring more CPU cycles? It doesn't lag does it?

9. KillaFx

Nah it doesnt lag, but the thing is that it runs at 50% and then if i go to a place were there is allot of ppl its at 100% and it lags hell. And if i rune a Macro script cuz i Script in Pascal it laggs like hell. Should I reformat?

Edited for legal reasons.

10. CMH

Lol.

Might just be that Java's inefficient on AMD systems. Or that you've got other crap running in the background.

As for programming, I don't do programming, and I've got no clue what you're on about there :D

11. KillaFx

oh ok. But if u were me what would you do?

12. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

Lol runescape...

(Bump)

13. LinkedKube

runescape, wait, my 12 year old brothers play that, lol /end thread

14. CMH

If its not causing trouble, I'd leave it alone. If you're only having problems with JAVA, I'd say reinstall JAVA and see what happens. Maybe try a different JAVA program. Worst case scenario, I'd reformat the comp, and see if things are better. This is considered pretty drastic tho, I wouldn't rush into reformatting my comp.

15. KillaFx

bumpadump` come on guys

16. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Hey, the best solution is to stop playing runescape. Worst game ever made. Go buy a REAL game and **** runescape. ;)

17. LinkedKube

lol i thought i /end thread this post for that exact reason. pfft

18. KillaFx

Well its not only on Runescape its on other Java things and Random things aswell like encoding a movie.

19. LinkedKube

I think ts software issues with Java. you might just be beating a dead horse on this one. I think you're fine

20. Grafficks

Grafficks TS Rookie Posts: 454

As for encoding a movie, it's perfectly normal for CPU utilization to go up to 100%. Most programs that encode movies use 100% CPU usage all the time, and if you happen to have a fast processor then it will just finish the encoding a bit faster. If you really want to lower CPU usage while encoding a movie, just set the priority lower.

21. KillaFx

oh ok Thank You, I appreciate the help i think what im going to do is reinstall Java even though i have the latest version. And if problems persis but legit windows and reformat.

22. KillaFx

I just reinstalled Java and nothing, im beginning to think its my CPU, ram or my windows. Please give your opinions. Oh yah and by the way Windows recognizes 2 gigs of ram under my compter properties. It is cheap ram though if that might have anything to do with it. Thank You in advance Techspot members!
    Have a nice night.
    God Bless
    -KillaFx

23. CMH

Did you try a Java program from a different company?

24. KillaFx

Hmmm nope what u mean by that? can you give me an example?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.