A quick question about my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, i'm new- and read the thread about heatsinks..and i couldnt find an answer. My motherboard went out a while ago, so I bought a decent mediocore board for this computer. Anyway, I find out that it did not come with a heatsink/fan and I'm not really sure how to find one for my board. I have a AMD Athlon64 3000+ Socket and do I just search for a "comparable" one, or how do i find one that will work for my chip? If anyone can point me in the right direction, i'd greatly appreciate it!

Heatsinks

Hey it sounds like you bought a processer with out a heatsink/fan. it is recommended that you have one. there is a web site that that you can go to it is http://www.newegg.com and on your left go to computer hardware > cooling devices > fans& heatsinks then look for one compatable for your processer. or if you want a cool looking one go to xoxide.com and go to cpu coolers.
If you want a heat sind for your northbridge/southbridge chip then at newegg go to the same place! if its for your processer you'll want a fan AND a heatsink unless you get a heatsink made especially for no fan. you can get these any were from $15 to $90. **** luck!!

-Josh

Thanks! I bought my motherboard from newegg.com, so it shoudnt be too hard to find one! Since I have an AMD Athlon 64, just check them for "compatable for AMD Athlon 64" and I should be set right??

Hi CanadaCajanek21 and welcome to TechSpot :)

1. motherboards never come with heatsinks

2. heatsinks are CPU specific (not motherboard specific)

you changed your mobo, but you didn't change your CPU. so you should be able to simply reuse the heatsink that you already have. just be sure to clean them both off and apply thermal paste/compound

cheers :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back