A small problem when starting PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostyr0d

Hello ,

So when i start my PC, the monitor is blank for some time. And after maybe 10-15 seconds, i hear a loud beep, and my mobo screen shows up. After this everything works fine..

not a big problem but..
Just wondering what could be causing this?

Just a guess, really, but could it be your bios holding things up, kinda sounds like it? If so, try setting your bios to minimum values and see if that cures the problem. It could be that the problem may get worse, so perhaps now is a good time to deal with it.
In your bios, is Plug n Play set to "yes" ? If so try turning it to no and see if that fixes the problem.

Its usualy normal, as some monitors take its time to "wake up" if its been left to "sleep". What is the first screen that you see after your monitor displays? does your monitor light like on green (on) or sleep (orange, or blinking) at the 10-15 sec you described?

Bios could be contributing to it but i realy doubt it.. as it just does a POST check of all devices on the pc, then the 1 beep will tell you everything is OK.. turn that plug and play on again if you want, or load optimal settings..

try updating your drivers and firmwares, especialy for your monitor and graphics card if you realy think that its causing you that problem, or if you still think your mobo/bios is to blame, take a look at what bios flash update is available for your motherboard.. but be warned.. the flash may fail on you so follow their instructions exactly.. but other than that i'd just say bear with the slow startup..

hardware wise, you can check all cables connected properly, power ok etc.. usual troubleshooting stuff...

I was not saying it was a bios problem. I just feel its good to get that possibility out of the way first as a normal part of troubleshooting. But if it were a bios issue, i wouldnt be surprised.

Perhaps next would be to test your ram. You can use google to get a copy of memtest, a good program to use to test your ram. Be aware that you must only test one stick of ram at a time when using memtest.
If its a true delay then something must be causing it.
Back to the ram, do you have matching ram? Physically check the ram and also look in the bios for the settings for each stick of ram you are using.
Is this a new build? Did this problem just start? What did you do to your pc before this started? Did you add some hardware or even software or make any changes in windows setup? We really should have asked these questions first i suppose.

I use Samsung Syncmaster 940B LCD monitor. i didnt have this problem before.

It happened when i installed a new mobo. The first screen i see after 10 seconds is the first screen. The one that shows F8 = boot menu DEL = Setup..

i see this screen for like 5 seconds and then i get to the PCI Device listing, and then windows loads.

Also, all fans run at normal speed, exept for the graphic card fan, which runs at 100% speed.

When the gfx card fann goes to normal speed, the first screen shows

when you installe dthe new mobo did you reinstall windows or at least do a repair install?

- Formatted HDD 2 times and did fresh install of windows.

- Started system with only PSU, Gfx card, CPU and RAM.

- Still the same problem.

Where, exactly, does the holdup occur?
Or does the whole process just take up a lot of time for each new screen that you see?

its just when pressing the poweron button.

all teh fans are going, the gfx fan at full speed.

after ~10 seconds then gfx fan goes to normal speed and i hear a loud beep, and i can see the screen: Press DEL to enter setup (the first screen this is).

Have you checked the manual for your gfx card and checked the websites FAQ section for info on that? It could be normal procedure for that card.
Also do the same for the mobo.
The beep is a ram check, so that is normal.
It could be that there is some bios entry that needs to be changed, not that i know which one offhand.

Maybe the timeout setting for the bootloader? Type msconfig in run, click tab "boot.ini". What is timeout set to? Set it to 0, unless you dual boot.

Timeout means the time the bootloader gives you to select which OS you want to boot. If you dont choose one in that time it goes with the first.

Good point! Normally you wouldnt expect the average person to go around changing that, but it could happen. Its one of those items to check and get out of the way during diagnostics.
I just checked mine and its set at 3, so that must be win xp pro standard setting as i knew it was there but never had reason to change it.

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy said:
Maybe the timeout setting for the bootloader? Type msconfig in run, click tab "boot.ini". What is timeout set to? Set it to 0, unless you dual boot.

Timeout means the time the bootloader gives you to select which OS you want to boot. If you dont choose one in that time it goes with the first.

I changed it to 3, but what it changed was the time i had to select the OS.

The OS selection comes after the 10 sec wait ----> First screen ----> PCI Device listing.

Well i guess its something that my mobo does, really not a big problem anyways :p

You could try out some of the Windows tweaks.
https://www.techspot.com/guides-os.shtml
They will speed up your boot time just because they turn off alot of stuff that isn't neccessary, BUT i really doubt it gets rid of that 10 seconds. It seems like a detection time or something for the mobo.

Also try selecting /noguiboot in the boot.ini settings. All it does is remove the Windows loading screen, instead its black.

Well it hasnt anything to do with Windows. I started my system with only the PSU, Gfx card, CPU and one stick of RAM, and it still took 10 seconds until i saw the first screen.

Heres where the 10 seconds is going lol.
AI NOS™
Boost performance when you need it the most!
Applications such as 3D games and video editing demand a huge chunk of system resource.
Inject "nitrous oxide" into your CPU! The patented AI NOS™(Non-delay Overclocking System) technology intelligently detects system load and automatically boosts performance for the most demanding tasks. Unlike other dynamic overclocking techniques, AI NOS™reacts much faster to satisfy your unending need for speeds.

ASUS Q-Fan
ASUS Q-Fan technology intelligently adjusts both CPU fan and chassis fan speeds according to system loading to ensure quiet, cool and efficient operation.

I dont think the AI NOS thing is actually, check for a option in the bios to turn off the ASUS Q-Fan if you really want that 10 seconds.

I just realized what i likely is by when it happened. Its a hardware conflict of some sort, likely on the pci bus, but could be agp as well. Win 98se used to hang like that with some network cards (nic cards), so its very possibly something like that.
Only way to test that would be to take a piece of hardware out of the system, one at a time, then see when that 10 second delay stops and there is your culprit. It could even be the sound card if its not on irq 5, but its more likely something else. Its now likely to even show up in dev mgr as a red or yellow warning, but it may show up in "performance logs and alerts" in computer management.

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy, sorry, i didnt see your post.
However, i think what i last posted, about the hardware conflict may be at least partly or totally what you were referring to in your second last post, the one on the end of the first page.

If you want you can remove you IDE, SATA, ect buses in device manager, then reboot and it will autodetect them again. Don't know if it will do anything but its worth a shot :p

Good idea, but i think that where its hanging up it points to hanging up on some other hardware, perhaps a pci card, built in nic card, etc. Could easily be wrong, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back