A story of Java's improbable return to prominence

By Shawn Knight
Sep 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. General-purpose programming language Java was lauded as the next big thing a decade or so ago. As I can attest to, it was being taught as an entry-level programming course at colleges across the country and billed as the platform...

Read more
  2. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

Interesting, but I'll be honest... I expected more about Java's return to prominence.
  3. I wonder if Madonna would use Java to shop online for Tibetan dumbbells, would that help bring attention to an old, bloated, virus-biten corpse of a programming language that was invented as an excuse for extreme salaries of bank software coders.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,718   +873

Wow I thought Java was dead. I guess not.
  5. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 178   +25

Expecting Java to not crash in an applet?

HA...

But some java physic applets were pretty cool.
  6. Ignorance...

Java Applets are dead. Java server-side, you know the stuff that goes on behind the scenes of websites, is flourishing.

Facebook, twitter, League of Legends, ebay, you name it they're probably using Java in some way.
    H3llion likes this.
  7. OortCloud

OortCloud Newcomer, in training Posts: 33

This article feels unfinished....interesting anecdote, then back to why Java has risen back to prominence.....hmm I seem to be at the bottom and there's no page 2....
  8. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 585   +45

Clearly, you have no idea what Java is...

Not even remotely. It's the most popular programming language, followed by C/C++.
  9. OortCloud

OortCloud Newcomer, in training Posts: 33

Java's biggest weakness is it shares it's name with and gets mistakenly associated with the abomination that is JavaScript.
  10. Since over a decade, I am busy helping companies, of a broad variety of industries, with their Java based software development needs, for their business applications and services. I guess I was, and still am, under a very big and comfortable rock, never noticing I seem to be practicing hardcore necromancy all this time. O.O

In all seriousness, from my experience and perspective, saying Java is dead, or a relic from the 90s, is quite the facepalm.
  11. lipe123

lipe123 TechSpot Guru Posts: 409   +73

One word: minecraft.

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

No, I think Madonna uses "Tibetian Dumbells" as backup singers, and of course, the job would require an audition.....:cool:

Er....., "Go Java"....!! (Just trying to keep this on topic)
  13. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,718   +873

It is definitely not the most modern language, but it is still a great versatile language.
  14. Railman

Railman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 553   +73

Java is also used in conjunction with Oracle. The accounting and payroll package used at my work being an example.
  15. Gumpngreen

Gumpngreen Newcomer, in training

It's easy to prove Java isn't dead: Android.
  16. Nice info.........:)
  17. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,286   +281

Not many programmers commenting here :sigh:
    Java has the attribute 'Write it once, run it anywhere' -- well sort of.
    The JRE is specific to the Platform and the OS. The 'run anywhere' assumes you are willing to at lease recompile the sources for the target environment (but that's far better than supporting new code for each environment).
    Given the correct JRE and a recompiled jar file (that's how Java applications are delivered),
    the programmer can move the application from Mac, -> Pc, -> Linux.
    You need to understand that smartphones need touch behaviors, and thus moving (or porting) from a desktop
    to a cellphone will absolutely require some rework, and thus instantly break the 'run anywhere' feature.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.